4

Chapter 4

"She did what?!"

MJ put her finger up to her lips, shushing her close friend. "Ella, don't be so loud."

"Sorry," the blue-haired girl apologized. "Does anyone else know?"

The princess shook her head. "No." She then looked around the library to make sure none of her fellow students were listening.

Study Hall was one of MJ's favorite parts of school (you know, besides Lunch and Art). She and Ella were trying to finish their math homework.

"I can't believe this happened." Ella began to write something on a blue sticky note. "Why would she attack you?"

"I dunno. But, El, promise me you won't tell anyone else," MJ said.

Ella nodded sincerely. "I promise."

"Hey guys," Arnes, a fellow classmate, said, scratching his neck nervously.

"Hey, Arnes," the girls said in unison.

Arnes was one of the cutest boys at Auradon Middle School (according to Ella). He had dark, black hair and bright, turquoise eyes. He was shy, and a really great swimmer, favoring the traits from his merfolk part of the family. Only a few of his cousins had the same gift.

"What's up?" Ella asked, looking into the boy's eyes.

Arnes hesitated to answer her question. He started to bit on his lip. "Well, I ... I need help with something," he stuttered.

"What do you need help with?"

He paused. "I... I, uh... I like this girl."

Ella's eyes brightened at the news. "Oh my Dopey!" she exclaimed. "You like a girl–"

MJ nudged her friend before she could say anything else. Ella immediately stopped talking as the princess told Arnes, "Go on."

Arnes paused again before continuing. "I like Zella," he admitted. "She's really funny and really kind to animals."

MJ nodded, agreeing with him. "I wonder how long her hair will be when we graduate."

Arnes smiled, his cheeks lighting up with red. "She is Rapunzel's grand-daughter, so..." The shy boy almost lost his train of thought as his crush got lost in his mind.

"Anyway," Arnes continued, "can you help me?"

Before the princess could say anything back, Ella quickly sprang up from her seat. "I could totally help you! I'm, like, an expert with these things! I could even set you guys up on a date!"

"Ella!" MJ whisper-yelled, getting her friend's attention again. "What did I say earlier?"

The library quieted for a moment as a few other students stared at the three. Some began to whisper to each other as Ella sat back down.

"I should get back to my table," Arnes said and walked away, shyly shoving his hands into his pockets and shuffling away.

MJ shook her head as she turned back to her blue-haired bestie, annoyed of her classmates' sudden chatter. She had heard people whispering about her her entire life.

"M?" Ella began, feeling like an idiot for being so loud. "You okay?"

"Just fine," MJ answered, putting a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "Can we get back to this crap?" She pointed her pencil down at her homework.

Ella nodded, and the two continued writing confusing equations and drawing wacky graphs.

~