18

Chapter 18

Back in Auradon, Ben had already sent out guards to secure the bridge. He wasn't going to let Auradon go down without a fight. He hadn't told Mal, which now that he thought about it, wasn't a good idea. Oh well, Ben thought. She can kill me later. Freddie had helped him set up a few traps in case the Mistress of Evil entered the town of Auradon. They wanted to be super careful. Ben was looking down at the people in town. Auradon was such a humble place. "Having fun out there?" Ben turned around to see his wife, who was carrying a folder. "What's that for?" Ben asked, pointing to the folder.

Mal smirked. "I've had my mom's spellbook for so long that I basically copied down every spell I thought was useful."

Mal handed him the folder. He took it and read through some spells. Finally, Ben got to one that caught his eye. "A love spell?" Ben asked, looking at Mal.

Mal shrugged. "I mean, that's what I used on you."

Ben smirked. "Oh really? Because I remember falling in love with you, Miss Mistress of Evil's daughter."

Mal blushed. "Oh shut it. That was a while ago."

"And yet, I still feel the same." Ben nuzzled Mal's chin, then kissed her. Ah, love. I mean...dang, I messed up again. Stupid narrating rules. 

"Wooooooah! What is going on in here?" asked Jay, coming in from the hallway.

Ben released Mal and stood up. His cheeks turned red. Jay smirked. "I think one kid's enough for you guys.

Mal glared at him. "Jay–"

"Jay!" called Audrey as she came into the room. "You can't just walk in on people when they're talking."

"For once, Audrey's right," Mal said.

Audrey glared at her. "Anyway, are we all secure for tonight?"

Ben nodded. "Yes. I placed the guards at the opening for the bridge. No one will get past."

"You did what?" Mal asked.

Ben laughed nervously. "I know you're probably mad, but I have this under control. There's no need to worry."

Mal crossed her arms. She knew what her mother would do. She's destroy the guards. They were doomed. "Ben, this isn't a good idea," she said.

"Why not?" Audrey asked. "The guards here are top-notch. They've been through everything."

"Yeah, against other mortals." Mal rubbed her arm. "My mom is much worse than that. She can turn into a dragon, if you forgot. We can't beat her with just guards."

Ben sighed. "I suppose you're–"

"Have you forgot about my father?" Audrey asked. "He was a mortal, and he beat your mom, and just with a sword."

"Yeah," Mal said. "A magic sword. That the good fairies gave him. They also helped him get out if my mom's dungeon too."

"So?"

Mal crossed her arms. "So, your dad needed magic to beat my mom. Without it, Prince Phillip would've been toast."

Audrey pouted. Mal was right. "So what do you expect us to do?" Jay asked. "I thought the good fairies retired from, y'know, fairying."

"Plus, I dont think Flora is going to be happy when she finds out her granddaughter is stuck on an island full of villains with no adult super vision," Audrey added.

Mal bit her cheek. "We don't need to use just the good fairies. There are other people with magic, right Ben?"

Ben nodded, then sighed. "I'm not sure they'll help us. In Auradon, everyone thinks that magic is in the past."