27

Chapter 27

CJ had already named forty-five states and capitals when MJ came out from Dr. Facilier's shop. She walked over to her five friends while a satisfied smile on her face. "Are we going, guys?" she asked.

"Finally!" Franny exclaimed, and everyone got up to follow Jayden.

When they were walking, Ella handed MJ her spell book. "Thanks for holding it, El," the princess said.

"You're welcome," Ella replied, and then she whispered, "Did you get it?"

"Get what?"

"The thing you were looking for."

"Oh." The princess nodded. "Yep. I got everything I needed."

The blue-haired girl smiled. "That's good."

"C'mon, slowpokes!" Franny yelled at the two, who were a few feet behind the rest of the gang. "We gotta go!"

The two best friends looked at each other, shared a laugh, and then ran to catch up with the group. The six walked for a bit, eventually coming to a stop at the beginning of the cut-off bridge, separating Auradon and the Isle. Jayden held up his hand, motioning the group to stop. "The bridge isn't open," he said. "And those crocs will swallow us whole if we try to swim across."

Ella looked out to Auradon, and then at Jayden. "What do we do?"

"Hey, look!" Franny exclaimed, pointing at something behind a building. 

The gang came over to her, and stopped once they saw the royal limousine submerged into the darkness. "We can take the car!" Franny said, about to open the door, but Jayden stopped her. "What's wrong?" she asked him.

"We can't take the limo," Jayden answered.

The young fairy cocked an eyebrow at him. "Why not? The limo has the bridge opener button thingy, and we'll get to Auradon much faster than on foot. I don't see a problem."

"Fran, we don't have an adult," Ella added.

Franny stared blankly at her friend. "Okay... so?"

Ella palmed her forehead and sighed. This girl didn't understand anything. The young, blue-haired girl was about to strictly tell Franny how none of them could drive, but her best friend beat her to it. 

"Franny, we can't drive," MJ said. "We're not even sixteen."

"We'd kill ourselves," Jayden added, "even if I am amazing at Mario Kart."

Franny bit her lip. "Oh yeah, I forgot about that." She giggled.

Jayden shook his head, disappointed that the usually sassy girl hadn't noticed that the group was far too young to drive. "Well, I guess that plan's out the window," Lory mumbled.

The others nodded in agreement. What could they possibly do now? They couldn't drive across the bridge, and they couldn't walk either unless they wanted to be a Tic Toc Croc's midnight snack. And because of CJ's talent of drowning, that definitely wasn't happening. It almost seemed like there was no hope until MJ got an idea. She began walking to the edge, and then turned right and walked along the island. As she did so, everyone followed her, wondering where their friend was taking them. MJ stopped walking when she finally found the secret way to under the Isle. She started down the slanted path, making sure she was going slow so she wouldn't slip. The gang followed her down; CJ used the wand as a walking stick, while when Ella started to slide, Jayden caught her and helped her walk down the rest of the path.

"Where are we?" Franny asked, looking around. "Is this another Isle?"

"Franny, we're only twenty feet away from the water," Jayden said, and then crossed his arms.