4. Clueless

There is something purely terrifying about the moment you realize you are happy. As with all good things that are short in supply and only come around once in awhile, happiness, like falling in love, will never come without the agonizing realization that soon that blessed feeling will go away.

I have been feeling happy for a week now. Harley and I have become really close in a short period of time. We call every night and spend much of our time in class whispering about our mutual obsession over The 100. Wednesday at lunchtime we had a great debate about who we ship Clarke with. I am a firm believer that Bellarke will be endgame, but Harley still muses on about the perfection of the Clexa ship.

Yes, the whole week has been quite good. Richie has perfected his list of possible insults, Ann has been opening up more and more at lunch, and Amory has been making friends with Travis and the other football players. The sun was shining on my life and with my track record that could mean two things: either all the water vaporized and a storm is coming, or the hot rays will scorch everything they shine on. Optimism doesn't run in the family.

It's Friday afternoon. Amory and I just finished training and I'm about to shower when I hear my phone buzz from the kitchen. It's still way too quiet in this big house, even though we had bought a few more bits to make it feel more homely. It's a text from Harley and I smile. "What do people wear to house parties?!?!?!" She asks. I chuckle. "Go for flirty but don't overdo it too much. Or do, really. I'll dance with you either way."

"Haaa that's sweet. Doesn't help though. I have it down to three possible outfits but I don't knooowww!" She sents a picture with her last text, a bunch of clothes spread all over her bed. I see a white lace crop top that I immediately love. "The white top is super pretty!"

"Yeah? I also love the pink dress though!"

"Grab a bag, dump everything in there and come over. I'll call Ann too and we can get ready together!"

"OMW"

I call Ann. She will pick up Harley and Richie first and meet us at the house around six. I promise her to order pizza. This week is not good for my diet, but the prospect of a fun evening surely makes up for that. "Am!" I open the door to the basement and wait for him to turn his workout music down. The guy just doesn't tire. "The guys are coming over for dinner!" Amory smiles at me from under the stairs and sticks up his thumb. "Fun!" He says, somewhat out of breath.

"I'm going to shower now," I say, "be done in fifteen, 'kay?"

He nods and turns back to his training. I take a quick shower and curl my thick brown hair. With a full can worth of hairspray in there it might have a chance to survive the night. Since tonight is a party I spend a little bit more time than usual on my make-up, adding a shimmering golden eye look to the signature wing, and sporting a dark red lip.

I'm still in sweatpants and cropped T-shirt when the bell rings. Great, I promised Harley fashion advice and now I'm opening the door looking like I'm about to go to bed for the rest of my life. Harley lets out an excited squirm and Richie is practically jumping up and down. They are clearly looking forward to tonight, and so am I. I hug them and give them a small tour of the house. Amory is in the kitchen ordering us some pizza. "What can I get you guys?" He asks, gesturing the gang to take a seat on the barstools. I open the fridge and quickly scan through its contents. "We have coke, juice, water, iced tea and beer."

"Beer?" Richie asks, a bit too enthusiastic. I take a bottle and slide it over to them. "Fake ID's," I tell him, "besides, no one ever asks Amory for it anyway." My brother grins and nods. I hand him a beer too. "Harley, Ann?"