26. Covered Bridges

It takes a little while for us to get back to normal. We had a fun afternoon that Saturday, but the whole scene has left a stain on each one of us. Especially on Amory and me. It has been a full week and he still walks on eggshells around me. It drives me crazy. He hates himself for what he did to me and I wish I could turn back time.

So I spent most of the week away from home. I went to stay with Max on Monday, to grab coffee with the girls on Tuesday and slept over at Harley's on Wednesday. Yesterday I spent with Max again, drinking beer and playing video games with him and Travis until the sun went down. And after Travis left we withdrew to his bedroom, alternating kissing with making love and making love with talking. I feel best when I'm with him.

The bruise has healed entirely, and not a moment too soon. Max had invited all of us to enjoy a sweet Friday afternoon at his pool. Amory and Ann had respectfully reclined, since they already made plans to get dinner together. A smile spreads across my face as I think about those two. My brother needs someone like Ann in his life right now and I'm so happy they decided to take the chance to get to know each other better.

Harley's sitting next to me in my car. We have the roof rolled down and the wind blows through our hair. After a quick stop at hers and my house to get our bikinis and towels we are now on our way to Max'. Harley laughs and raises her hands above her head. "I love this car!" She exclaims and I laugh too. I turn the radio louder and speed up a little, the road ahead straight and deserted. She cheers and I watch her eyes crinkle to a close and her smile stretch across her face. Harley's laugh is the most beautiful thing you'll ever hear. Or see.

We turn into the driveway and park behind Richie's car. I jump out of the car and reach for the towels I threw in the back. Harley rings the doorbell and the door almost immediately swings open. "Fay! Harley!" Travis hugs us both at the same time and pulls us in. He shuts the door behind us and throws his arms around our shoulders. He's got his swimming trunks on, the same red and white checkered ones he wore to the beach. I smile and nudge my head against his shoulder. "What's got you in such a good mood?"

Travis leads us to the glass doors leading to the garden. "We might have downed a few shots waiting for you girls to get here," he smirks. I wriggle myself loose from his embrace and step outside. The warm midday sun greets me and I bite my lip. I wish summer would never end.

"Hi love," Max swims towards the edge of the pool and leans his head on his arms. "Hi," I say softly, unable to stop looking at his adorable wet hair. "Well," he says, splashing some water our way, "get in." Richie raises a beer to us from a lime green air mattress, its pink twin floating off in the water.

I smirk and quickly take off my clothes. Harley advised me to wear this black lace up bikini and I fasten the strings of the top. I lock eyes with Max and he smirks, his chin resting on his arms. I smile and run towards the edge of the pool, diving over him and into the cool water. The water surrounds me and the world fades away. All I feel is the soft embrace of the subtle flow and for a moment I consider staying here forever.

But then I remember what's waiting for me above the surface and I push myself off the pool floor. I gasp for air and wipe my wet hair from my face. Max reaches out for me and pushes me towards him, easily guiding my body through the water, pinning me against the edge of the pool. He looks into my eyes and smirks. I wrap my legs around his waist and push myself against him, smirking deviously. He presses his lips against me and I kiss him back eagerly. He weaves his fingers through my wet hair and pulls gently at their roots as he kisses me with his lips, his teeth, his tongue.

"You guys gonna do this the entire day?" Travis shouts at us from one of the lounge chairs. I smile and stick out my tongue to him.

"Just getting it out of our systems," Max shouts back before kissing me again. I run my hands through his hair and let out a sigh. "Have I ever told you I really like your hair?"