12. Rebels With A Cause

We are all huddled together in our living room. Harley has the sofa to herself, a warm blanket to embrace and big old jar of ice cream to eat away the tears. Richie and Ann are both sitting down on our carpet, leaning against the sofa. They have laptops on their laps, multiple tabs open and access to all public knowledge. Amory is pacing back and forth from the kitchen where he's making us bolognese pasta. And I'm standing in front of them, arms crossed and mind processing everything I have ever learned about the wondrous arts of social destruction.

"We are talking about a classic coup d'état," I say, turning a pen around between my fingers, "minimal bloodshed and preservation of the system. We just want to replace its leaders." I turn around to face Ann and Richie. "Now is the first time you've taking down a High School monarchy?" They both nod and I smile.

"Okay," I continue, "then you should know that a High School Queen Bee doesn't hold any real power. Everything is symbolic. It's status, respect, and most importantly, fear." I see Harley nod furiously from the corner of my eye. She puts another spoon of ice cream in her mouth and seems pretty content just listening to us plot her revenge. I smile and focus on my plan. "That's a good thing," I say, "because it is easy to destroy a myth. And if we can convince the people that the monarchy is not the only way, they'll do our work for us." Richie smirks. "I get it," he says, "take away the myth, and you take away the queen. Give the people an alternative, and they'll feel like they have a choice."

I smile. "Exactly."

"So how are we going to do this?" Ann asks. I cock my head to the side and bite the inside of my cheek. "I have a plan, but for it to work I need intell."

"Hence the computers," Ann says.

"Hence the computers," I repeat, "so Ann, please find everything you can on Cammie and her family. I want to know who she's friends with, who is loyal to her and who we can easily bribe to join our cause. I want to know where the Winstons vacation, how much they are worth, how they spend their spare time, what good causes they supports, where they shop, et cetera. I want to know everything."

Ann nods and starts typing. I turn to Richie and clear my throat. "And you, I want to know all the gossip." I glance over at Harley for a second and he seems to catch it. "Everything," I say, "from personal blogs to the football team's Facebook group. I want to know who they are talking about and what they are saying. You up for that?"

Richie smirks and cracks the muscles of his neck. "Consider it done," he says, typing furiously on his keyboard.

"And me?" Harley asks, looking up from her bucket of ice cream. I walk over to the other side of the couch and lean my arms on it. "I need you to cry, or scream, or fight – you know we've got boxing supplies in the basement," I say softly and Harley chuckles, "I need you to process and accept and work through it in whatever way works for you. Because tomorrow I need you to be strong. I need you to walk into that school with your head held high, like you own the place. And by lunch you will." I smile softly at her and bend down closer. "I will give you that school. And once you have it, nobody will ever discuss that photo ever again. They will not even think about it. Okay?"

Harley smiles at me and pulls her blanket up closer. "Okay," she whispers. I nod and straighten my back. "Time to get to work."

***

The girls sleep over in my room and Richie takes the sofa. I set my alarm an hour earlier than I normally would, with five people now having to share a bathroom and all. Harley passes out pretty quick. Her mind is probably filled with worries and her body tired of weeping. Ann is sitting on the side of my bed, watching her best friend sleep underneath my fluffy blanket. I lean against the doorpost and sigh. "Ann," I whisper, and she turns her head to me, "are you mad at me?"