38. The Wild Brunch

The next two weeks we spend convincing parents to let their kids go with us on a Christmas getaway, we scout for locations and plan festivities, we talk and laugh and toast to this crazy plan. And somehow it brings us all closer together, even Ann and me. By the time that November rolls around we book a beautiful chalet in the Killington area, that is just perfect for a winter getaway. It's a seven hour drive and all eight of us eventually agree to come.

In the meantime I'm busy studying for my SATs, rewriting my application essay and keeping up with all my schoolwork. Luckily for me, weekends are usually spend crashing a stranger's house party, dancing, drinking and laughing, and repeating everything the next two days.

All the leaves have turned red and golden, some already softly dwindling to the ground. It's cold, but unfortunately fashion knows no temperature. Hence I find myself wearing a knee-length, sleeveless dress on the first Sunday of November. It's light blue, with a white lace trim and a sweetheart neckline. A light blue velvet ribbon ties everything together around my waist. It's the perfect outfit for a Sunday brunch, even if it's practically freezing outside.

Max is waiting for me downstairs and I quickly put on my white pumps and grab the beige coat from my bed. I take one more look in mirror and smile. Today is the day Anthony Wells' plan will be set in motion. My uncle promised to meet us there, and I must admit that I am actually looking forward to seeing him again. It has been such a long time...

I blink a few times and take a deep breath. Max is waiting for me, there's no time to relive ancient memories. I rush downstairs and launch myself in Max' arms. He wraps his arms around me and hugs me tightly. "I'm running out of ways to tell you you're beautiful," he says, his face buried in my hair. I smile and let him put me back on my feet again.

"You look quite dapper yourself, Sheffield," I say, my eyes studying his light grey suit. His light blue tie matches my dress and I can't help but bite my lip. Men in suits... Damn.

"Bye Am!" I yell, and he peeks at us from the kitchen. "Have fun!"

"Does Amory know you invited your uncle?" Max asks, fastening his seatbelt. I shake my head. "He wouldn't approve," I shrug, "so I figured it's better to ask for forgiveness."

Max smiles and leans in closer. He presses his lips on mine and I kiss him back eagerly. I forget to breath – even after months of dating, I still forget to breath whenever he kisses me. Max softly strokes my hair and gently pulls his lips back. He smiles, teeth bared and eyes crinkled to a close, and kisses my nose instead. "I got you something," he whispers and my eyes widen. He reaches for his jacket pocket and takes out a rectangular black velvet box. I smile and bite the inside of my cheek. "You haven't..." I whisper.

"I have," he says, opening the box for me. Inside is a gorgeous dainty silver chain with a delicate teardrop shaped diamond pendant. My eyes shoot from the beautiful necklace to his eyes and I shake my head. "It's perfect," I say softly, smiling like a fool in love. He takes the necklace from it's box and I gather my hair to the side. His hands lightly touch my skin as he fastens the necklace around my neck. I take a deep breath and run my fingers over the small diamond. "Thank you," I say softly, lowering my hair and turning to Max again, "it's gorgeous"

He smiles and pulls me in for another kiss. My heart skips a beat and my tummy turns into a wonderful pulp of excitement and love. He smiles and eyes me once over.

"So are you, love," he says, and I feel my cheeks grow rosy. I smile at him and somehow that's all I can seem to do right now. Max chuckles and turns the ignition. "You're speechless?" He cocks an eyebrow. "Don't grow soft on me now, love. I didn't think you'd ever be speechless." He smiles and I bite my lip.