40. Surrealist Dinner Party

The food is served and the wine flows richly. Amory welcomes uncle into our home with an ice cold smile and I think it is in my best interest to not provoke that boy any further. Uncle and Max sit next to me at our dinner table, Mr. Sheffield opposite me, and on his sides my dear brother and his beautiful wife. Mrs. Sheffield wears a gorgeous green dress that compliments her ginger hair perfectly. I smile and raise my glass to our guests.

"Thank you for joining us for dinner," I say, "I know it's nothing much, but it is my great pleasure to receive you all in our new home."

"Hear, hear," uncle says, clinking his glass to mine, and the others join.

There were four courses served, first butternut squash ravioli, a fresh salad for starters, a main course of lamb chops and vegetables, and panna cotta for dessert. It smells delicious and decadent, and the fine choices of red and white wines makes everything perfect. Amory always had a nose for stuff like this, the planning of events, and I have a knack for hosting them. We are a perfect team like that. Or we used to be.

"Do you and your brother live here alone?" Mrs. Sheffield asks, gesturing around our dinner room. I smile and nod. "Yes, we moved in a few months ago."

"It's quite beautiful," Mrs. Sheffield says, her eyes fixed on mine. She smiles and I politely smile back at her. "Thank you very much."

"It truly is, Fay," uncle adds, "you and Amory are doing a good job taking care of yourselves."

I close my eyes for a second as Amory clears his throat. "It's not like we had a choice," he sneers and I glare at him.

"What my brother is trying to say," I smile at our guests and straighten my posture, "is that we value our independence and the responsibilities that come with it."

Amory sniffs and shakes his head, but at least doesn't try to start anymore trouble. The Sheffields comment us for stepping up and staying on the right path, and soon the appetizer is replaced by the salad, and the conversation turns to our future plans.

"Max wants to be a lawyer," I tell uncle and I notice how immediately every adult has a bright sparkle in their eyes. Uncle is always happy to talk about academics – it is his greatest passion, after all. The Sheffields seem pleased that their son wants to follow in their footsteps, and Max lights up as he sees his parents smile.

"Ha," uncle exclaims, "just like his parents! How wonderful! Say, son, have you thought about which university you wish to attend? You know, Columbia has a great law department."

"So has Yale," Mr. Sheffield adds and Mrs. Sheffield smiles at her son. "Yes, dear," she says, "we all know how much you loved your college days. But Max is free to choose whatever school he sees fit. Yale, Columbia, Stanford..." She pronounced the last university with a little more suggestion in her voice than the others and Max chuckles.

"Yes, yes, mum," he says, "I know. They're all great schools, but I simply haven't decided yet." Max glances over to me and I see a sparkle in his eyes I can't quite place. "Unlike Fay," he says, and I roll my eyes. Of course, he just wants out of the interrogation. "Fay is busy with her application for Columbia."

"And I couldn't be any happier!" Uncle smiles. Mrs. Sheffield nods approvingly. "What is it that you want to study?" She asks. I smile and it feels like my face is glowing. It has been such a long time since an adult has been interested in what I wanted to do with my life!

"I want to study English Literature at Columbia!" I say, smiling from ear to ear.

"Are you a writer?" Mr. Sheffield asks and I shrug lightly. "I wish I was," I say and Max nudges my shoulder.