42. Intermission

I turn the key in the lock and step aside for Max and Richie, both carrying big shoppers full of red cups, chips, salsa, sodas and wines. "Just put everything in the kitchen!" I say as the boys struggle the bags inside. Harley smiles and locks her arm in mine.

"I'm excited!" She says, resting her head against my shoulder. I pinch her arm softly and grin. "You are such a precious thing, sunshine," I smile as we follow the boys inside, "I keep forgetting this is like, the third party you've ever been to!" Harley smiles and sits down on one of the barstools.

"Yeah, we're cool by association now," Richie says, throwing bags of chips my way. I chuckle and set them down on the kitchen counter. Max smiles and starts packing the sodas and wines into the fridge. I smile too and study my friends' faces. Their eyes are twinkling, their mouths curled up in permanent grins. I can't help but mimic their incredible innocent enthusiasm.

"You were always cool, dork," I stick my tongue out to Richie and he winks back at me, "you just stopped letting people tell you otherwise."

"Well, regardless," Harley says softly, "we wouldn't be here without you, Fay."

Harley's eyes find mine and I sigh softly, my grin fading into a soft smile. I nod slightly and feel my cheeks grow rosy.

"She's right you know," Max' voice brings me back to earth and I smile as he wraps his arms around my waist.

"Without you I would still be breaking girls' hearts left and right, and I probably wouldn't even know their names." He gestures at Harley and Richie and I roll my eyes.

"You guys were doing just fine without me," I say softly.

"Yeah," Harley smiles, "just fine." She reaches for a bag of chips and pops it open. "Now we're doing great."

I roll my eyes again and smile. "Fine," I look up at Max with a rebellious sparkle in my eyes, "I'll accept my role as the best thing to have ever happened to you."

Max kisses my forehead and I wriggle myself loose from his embrace. "But only if you guys accept to be the best thing that's ever happened to me," I say softly, my eyes wandering to Harley's, "all three of you."

Harley smiles, like she always does, and it warms me, like it always does.

"God, yes, we're all besties, alright!" Richie exclaims. "Now can we get back to planning this party?"

***

Max and Richie go out to pick up Travis and a keg of beer. In the meantime, Harley and I order pizza and browse YouTube for a while, picking our favorite songs and classic party anthems for tonight's playlist.

"Hey, Fay?" She asks as we walk upstairs. I mumble a "yeah" and walk over to Amory's room. I take the key from the inside and lock it shut from the outside.

"Why are we having a party tonight?" She asks and I close my eyes for a second, slowly turning the key. "Because I feel like having fun," I say softly and dangle the key in front of her face.

"Do you want Amory's room or a guest room?" I ask, and Harley cocks her head to the side.

"What?"

"You're staying over right?" I ask and Harley nods hesitantly. I quietly bite the inside of my cheek. "Well," I smile, "you are welcome to join me in my room, but that might get a little crowded..."

Harley raises her eyebrows and I smirk. "Oh," she says, silently aiming her eyes at her feet. "I'll take a guest room."

I nudge her shoulder and we slowly continue down the hallway, locking my door next.