28. The Lost Generation

The smooth silk of my champagne colored chemise hugs my body as I sit down in front of my vanity table. It's Sunday morning and the glow of the summer sun fills my room. I comb through my hair and tie it together in a messy, low side bun. Elegant, but not too sophisticated. Today I'm meeting Max' parents and I want to make a good first impression. I forego the usual winged eyeliner and instead apply light and darker golden use to my eyelids, finishing it with mascara and a warm peach toned lip. I smile at myself in the mirror and reach for the black velvet box. The delicate golden necklace still takes my breath away. I put it on and let my fingers slide over the small diamonds.

My eyes glance over the wooden box that holds the watch I bought Max. I sigh and put it away in a drawer. Perhaps it is too early to give each other such gifts. I take a deep breath and walk over to my wardrobe, where a black garment bag hangs against the closet door. I unzip it and carefully take off the dress, sliding it on over my head. The elegant a-line dress reaches to just above my knees, its ivory colored fabric swathed in gold-dotted floral lace. My waist is accentuated by a satin, champagne-hued bow and I can't help but smile at my silhouette. It's pretty and dainty and I feel as if I'm about to step into a fantastic period-piece written by one of America's finest authors.

"Amory!" I yell as I rush downstairs with my simple champagne colored pumps only half on my feet and my hands clumsily grabbing either at the shoes falling off my feet or the railing. I stumble into the kitchen and Amory hands me a coffee. He smiles when he sees me and I let out a sigh of relief. "Caffeine, yes please. Gimme!"

"You look beautiful," he says softly and I smile.

"Thank you," I say, "did you have fun yesterday? And Friday? You weren't here when I got home last evening."

Amory sighs and leans against the kitchen counter. "I'm sorry for that," he says, "it feels like we barely see each other anymore."

"I know," I lay my phone down on the island and hoist myself onto a barstool, "it's my fault too. I've been spending much time with Harley and Max. It's just..."

"Weird," he sighs, "yeah, I know. Maybe we can spend a little time together soon, to talk about things."

I nod and smile lightly. "Yeah, I'd like that. But no more excuses now! Spill, where were you?"

He chuckles. "I took Ann out for dinner and a movie."

My eyes widen and the smile on my face keeps growing until I am sure the corners of my mouth would not hold it anymore. "Two dates in a row? That's fantastic! Did you have fun? Did you kiss? I want to know, Am!"

He shakes his head and waves my questions away. "We had fun, yes. She's a very smart girl and knows much about a lot of things. We've had wonderful conversations. No kisses yet."

I pout and bat my eyes at him. "Why not? It's not that you have to convince me that she's great, I already know that!"

"I know," he says, his eyes heavy and weary, "it's her I have to convince. She, uh–" He swallows and takes a deep breath.

"She's scared," I say, and my brother slowly nods. I sigh and jump off the stool. I let my head rest against his chest and wrap my arms around him. "I'm not," I whisper, "and with time she'll come around too." Amory embraces me and kisses my hair. "Thank you, my sweet, sweet Baudelaire."

***

Max rings the doorbell at eleven on this Sunday morning. He slowly shakes his head when he first sees me, opens his mouth a little when he looks again, and smiles when he spins me around. He sighs and grins, and I cannot do anything but smile and feel my cheeks grow a rosy tint. "Wow, my love," he breathes, "you are the most beautiful, brilliant, sublime creation I have ever seen."