L. DUNBAR [2]

You had been dating Liam for a few months

You had been dating Liam for a few months. At first, everything was pretty much perfect. But after he joined the lacrosse team things changed drastically. He became distant, and you would barely see him anymore. 

You broke up with him a few weeks ago, not knowing what else to do. You loved Liam, but you couldn't keep pretending everything was okay when it wasn't. 

You had a class together but you never spoke after your break-up. You'd see him in the hall sometimes and you'd share a smile, but it was never more than that. 

You missed him terribly, and you wondered if he missed you too. 

During your free period you roamed the halls of your school avoiding doing your homework. You turned a corner as you went down the stairs and saw a boy sitting at the bottom of the stairs; a lacrosse stick in his hands. 

He turned around at the sound of your shoes as you slowly made your way down the steps. It was Liam. His blue eyes met yours and you suddenly found it hard to breathe. You stopped halfway down the stairs as you looked into his eyes. 

"[y/n]." he said softly.

"Hey." you replied. "Aren't you supposed to be in class?" you asked as you made your way down to where he sat. He nodded as he stared out into the empty hall, a sad look on his face. You took a seat next to him and he turned to look at you. "Are you okay?"

"Not really." he replied.

"What's going on with you?" you asked, genuinely concerned. 

He shook his head. "I can't tell you. But I wish I could."

You looked into his eyes and you could tell he was more than just sad. He was confused, scared. "Liam, you can tell me anything. I wish you would. I wish you would have." you added as you placed your hand on his shoulder, referring back to the time when you two were together. If he would've just talked to you then maybe you two could've still worked things out.

"I can't. I'm trying to protect you." he said with conviction as he took your hand in his.

You looked down at your intertwined hands, not sure if you believed him. "Okay." you said softly as you stood up, letting go of his hand hesitantly. 

"Wait, [y/n]. Where are you going?" he asked, standing up as well, and you could hear the pain in his voice.

"I don't know, Liam. Library maybe." You sighed, frustrated. He still wouldn't talk to you and there was nothing more you wanted than to be there for whatever he was going through but he wouldn't let you because he had shut you out.

He watched as you walked away with an ache in his chest. He missed you so much, but he refused to bring you into this. He didn't want you to get hurt. And he was also scared that you would see him as a monster. So many people already viewed him that way because of his anger issues and he wouldn't be able to deal with it if you viewed him that way too. 

As you were about to turn the corner to head over to the library someone ripped one of the hallway doors off it's hinges. But when you got a better look you realized it wasn't someone, but something. You stood frozen in place, completely in shock. 

Liam was quickly at your side. "Berserker." he said, mostly to himself.

"What the hell are you talking about?" you asked.

"I don't have time to explain." he said frantically. He didn't have a choice anymore, the supernatural world and it's dangers had finally reached you. All he could do now was try and protect you. "Do you trust me?" he asked, holding out his hand to you. He searched your eyes for an answer.

You nodded and slipped your hand into his. "Yes. I trust you." 

A small smile flashed across his lips and his eyes began to glow a vibrant yellow. The sight of his eyes left you breathless, but you weren't scared. You felt safe at his side. "Don't let go." he said as he gripped your hand tightly and you nodded, showing him you understood. You both turned and ran as fast as you could to get away from whatever was now chasing you but you knew whatever happened Liam would keep you safe.