17 || 𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐅𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒

𝐎𝐬𝐚'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

Thunder rumbled outside the structure we were taken into. Whoever it was that shot my leader was trying to help us. Our hero rescued us by shooting at all of the infected that were catching up behind us. One by one, only a few Stalkers and Walkers ere put down, thudding on the road. And before we knew it, we were inside a warm structure that kept the rain from hitting us.

The fireplace reminded me of the house we stayed in a few days ago. Our numb fingers and toes thawed, too. None of us tried to fight the girl that saved us. She chose to bring a massive group of weirdos into her home... I assumed it was her home.

"Thank you," Mikey says. The wolf he carried was on the floor in this house and it is close to his side. The teenage girl didn't answer while she fixed up the fires food of dry wood. The ashes blow on her face, forcing her to cough loudly.

Michaelangelo got an idea of what she looked like in the darkroom with everyone sitting back and watching her. This stranger had a ponytail, blonde hair. Her skin had a few scratches, but she looked very well-groomed. This could mean one of two things. One, she is living alone and taking great care of herself, or she is with a community. Possibly the one we are looking for.

"What's your name?" Kristen courageously asked. "Why did you save us from the infected?" She spoke softer. The unknown female still didn't talk, ignoring Kri. All she does is look at Raph's significant other with a sad look, the girl's left eye is murky blue-- she's blind. The girl who saved us motioned her hands, indicating that she can't speak like the rest of us.

She was deaf.

"She can't hear us." Faith said out loud.

"Anyone knows how to do sign language?" Raph looked around for a hand to go up. He's also concerned about his wounded brother on the couch. Leo is lucky that the bullet went clean through and didn't puncture anything important. He just needed to be looked at and he should be okay. "No one?" Raph talks again.

"I know a little bit," Patience says whispers. "I'll give it a shot."

Donnie nodded with approval and the mutant lizard stepped forward. The first sign Patience signs is 'hello.'

The rescuer of the day duplicates Patience's motion and continues on. It's fascinating to witness sign language in action because it makes everyone wonder what two individuals are saying just by using their hands and facial expressions. As Patience had her silent conversation, my attention turns to the window behind me on the couch. The rain tapped on the glass lightly, trees danced in the wind, and the ground is no longer dry. I can still smell the water from inside this little house.

Lightning flashes to put on a light show, and the drumming combinations of thunder continue peacefully. I feel my ears rattle as the bio-light ripple gently on my face and ears. The lights that are on my tail rarely light up, but it must have been an overwhelming moment because they were rippling, too. From time to time, my blue eye would light up as well... I'm peaceful.

One nudge from Donnie snapped me out of my comfort zone. He looks into my eyes, but his left one is still a little raw and tender. "Don't worry." He says to me.

I raised an eyebrow. "Don't worry?" I repeated.

"The infected won't come. We're safe."

"It's not the infected I'm worried about." I look out the window again.

"Then what is it?"

I shrugged. "We'll get to the community, right? With Leo and Kitty the way they are?"

"Of course, we will." He sounded so sure. How could he be so sure?

I remembered what he just said, though. Safe? "We're not safe, Donnie. Not anymore. Nowhere is safe."