chapter doce

I slide into the car next to Kleo. I shut the door and the uber starts driving. "How are you ladies doing today?" Kleo wipes her eyes. "We're good. A little tired but..." The older man nods. "I feel rude asking this but are you expecting?" He looks back at me then back to the road. I chuckle. "Yes I am." He nods, relieved that I'm not just a fat girl that he just insulted. "Well congratulations. How far along are you?"

"Three months." He nods. Kleo glances at me as I speak. "Do you know the gender yet?" I shake my head. "I find out next Tuesday when we get back home." He nods. "So you two are travelers?" Kleo decides to step into the conversation. "Yes. We're from Georgia." He nods. "I have a daughter down there. She moved to be closer to her boyfriend. I think they're engaged and expecting now too. We haven't talked in some years."

Kleo scrunches up her face. "Why not?" He shakes his head. "We don't approve of her choice of career." I nod thinking about Magic City. I almost miss the pole but I can't get on it while I'm pregnant. "What does she do?" I look at Kleo to tell her to stop asking questions. "She's an....exotic dancer. Works at the famous club. What is it called? Emerald city?" I almost choke on my spit. "Is her name Melanie?"

He looks at me with confusion. "Yea. You know her?" I nod slowly. "I work with her." He goes quiet and doesn't say a word until we turn into the mall. "A specific place you want to be dropped at?" Kleo shakes her head. "Macy's?" He nods and pulls up to the door. We get out and he stops me. "Hey, I just wanna say I'm sorry if I came off as rude." I smile. "No you're fine." He nods. "Ok well congratulations and tell Melanie I said hello." I nod and close the door. I catch up to Kleo and check my phone.

Big Brother Z:

We gotta talk when you get back.

Me:

About what? Did East do something? Someone robbed me?

Big Brother Z:

Something important but not yet.

Me:

Wow. Why tell me if you not really gonna tell me?

Big Brother Z:

To remind myself.

Me:

Whatever. We at the mall for this meet and greet. I'll talk to you later.

Big Brother Z:

Alright. Call me before you go to sleep.

Me:

Ok, love you.

Big Brother Z:

No gay shit.

Me:

Alright fuck you too.

Big Brother Z:

I'm playing. Love you too. Don't forget.

Jordan:

Am I still taking you to your appointment next Tuesday? Or is Zaire gonna take you?

Me:

We're still on. Are you still at work?

Jordan:

No I just left. Finna hit up that spot you love so much.

Me:

Not fair! They don't have those here in Chi-Town.