chapter cuarenta y tres

"I don't need your help." Dante tells me walking around me. Feeling a little salty, I just get back into the car. He had called me to come pick him up from the airport but then wanted to have an attitude once I got here.

He gets into the passenger side after putting his stuff in the trunk. He slams the door shut and I turn my head to look at him. "Don't slam my doors Dante." I roll my eyes and put the car in drive.

"I'll slam what I want to. I paid for it." He mumbles under his breath. "Look I know your mom just died but you don't have to make everybody feel like shit." He doesn't say anything so I stay quiet too.

I adjust my rear view as I drive to check on Xariah. Will kept both her and I up late last night for movie night at his house. We get to Dante's place and he gets out quickly. "Bye." I tell him.

When Dante called, I had just picked Xariah up from school. He closes the door behind himself and goes over to the trunk. I glance at Riah as she wipes at her eyes trying to get the crust out. I swear she's the cutest child to me. As he gets his bags, I glance at my phone checking my social media.

He never responded and I shake my head really mad at the way he's acting right now. I know he's upset about his mom dying but everybody doesn't need to feel his wrath. Maybe I could help if he would talk to me.

I speed off after he gets his last bag out my trunk. I pull up to my apartment and park. I grab Riah's stuff and mine as well before carrying her inside. East immediately starts jumping on my legs trying to see Xariah. She sleeps so much and I'm sure she'll sleep even more as she ages.

"Riah get up." I say tapping her. I lay her on the couch and gently start tickling her. She wakes up giggling. "Stop!" I continue and she squirms under my hands. I let her go and she takes a deep breath.

East comes behind me trying to get to her. These two love each other, it's so cute. Xariah gets down from the couch and sits on the floor to rub East. "You hungry?" I ask her walking into the kitchen. "Yes mama." My phone dings so I stop to look at it.

Dante:

I'm sorry. I just wanna start over.

I roll my eyes and ignore the message. I sit my phone down and turn around to Xariah. "I want cereal." She says in her cute little baby voice. I slightly smile and pull down the honey nut cheerios from on top of the fridge.

I get a little kiddy bowl and pour a little in for her. I pour her milk and hand the bowl to her as well as a spoon. "Be careful." My phone starts ringing and I smile seeing Will's name. "Heyyyy." I drag out pacing back and forth. "Wassup? You sound happy to talk to me."

I hear him chuckle as I glance at Xariah who is spilling milk all over her shirt. "I'm just in a good mood. Don't start feeling yourself." I roll my eyes as he laughs at me. "I'm finna come through...in like fifteen minutes."

"Alright that's fine. You taking Riah?" I bite my lip watching her. "Maybe." I nod like he can see me. "Mmkay bye." I hear him respond before I hang up. I bite my lip a little holding back a smile. "Let me help you." I tell Riah as I wipe her shirt up.

I take the now empty bowl and place it in the sink. I pick her up and carry her down to the bathroom to give her a bath. I run the water for her and it heats up pretty quickly. I place her down gently and grab her loofah and her soap.

I pour a little tiny bit of the baby wash and start scrubbing her gently. "I might as well wash your hair too..." I tell her as I grab her shampoo. I squirt a little bit of it into my hands and start scrubbing it into her scalp. She starts giggling and I admire her hair that's been growing nicely.