t h u r s d a y , m a r c h 4 t h

DAY 4
IRIS

"Cal, can you please put the top up?" I whined. "This wind is detrimental to my hair. And I don't have a brush with me to fix it before we get to the movies."

"Sometimes I feel like you're my actual girlfriend, Iris. And we're only four days in of 31." He chuckles and shakes his head. "I'll put it up, don't worry. But your hair looks fine. Just windswept."

"Isn't that a good thing? If you feel like I'm your actual girlfriend, it means I'm doing a damn good job of pretending. Step up your boyfriend game, Hood. You feel like a childhood friend at best." I joke, looking at my hair in the mirror to try and fix the pieces that were out of place now that the top is up on his convertible. I swear, he has it down all the time so he can show off.

We had gotten out of school at lunch today, since there was a workshop for the teachers held this afternoon. Calum and I were going to meet his friends at the movies.

He said that whenever I was around they were nicer to him. Though that worried me since they could still be pretty rude when I was there. I don't think I want to see how badly they treat him when I'm not there. Luckily, Charlie and Ashton spend a lot of time together, so he only has to worry about Luke and Michael the majority of the time.

The past few days, Calum insisted on spending time together even outside of school. We'd gone to the diner and talked or hung out with Shelly, even helped her on Wednesday afternoon.

Apparently Wednesday's are always busy around three because there's a huge bingo game held just down the street every week, and that's about the time it gets over. And old people love the diner, since it's been there for years. So it gets pretty busy. And I got to see Calum as a busboy, which was kind of funny.

"They should all be inside already. They were telling us to hurry up." Calum chuckles and grabs my hand as we walk toward the theater.

We were at the mall, since that was where the biggest movie theater was. I didn't think it mattered, but Michael and Charlie would argue intensely. So we all just decided to go to the theater in the mall.

Calum swung our hands back and forth as we approached his friends, waving with smiles. They looked relieved we were here. Except Charlie; she was calm.

"What took you so long?!" Michael narrows his eyes at Calum.

"Sorry, we were making out in the car." Calum shrugs. I cough, but don't deny it. We definitely were not, but that's the best excuse.

We had really swung by the diner to eat something and say hi to Shelly. She assured us we didn't have to come by every day, but we thought it was nice. And Calum didn't want his friends to know about that place. He said it was too special to him.

"Oh, leave them alone. They've only been a couple for a little while, they're still in the honeymoon phase." Charlie scolds. I swear to god she's a saint. "Plus, the two movies we had in mind don't start for 15 minutes. But we really do have to make a decision on which one we wanna see. I still vote for the horror."

"Horror." Luke and I say at the same time. It was much better than the romantic comedy that Ashton and Michael wanted to see. Plus it meant not having to make out with Calum for two hours.

Those two confused me.

"Calum. You're the final vote. What do you wanna see?" Michael said with grit teeth. However, it didn't seem to phase Calum. I think he had realized that no matter what they did and said to him, they were shitty. And they would be for a while. Maybe for the rest of his life. They couldn't do much worse.