Chapter Eight

Word count: 1800

Alaina P.O.V

''Ace!'' Violet cries.

''If you take another step in her direction, this one dies,'' the guard sneers.

Landon looks helpless and uncertain, I feel bad for him. His mate could die any second. Ace is rooted to the floor, jaw clenched and eyes as dark as the night. No one really knows what to do. Except Alette.

In the blink of an eye, Alette has reversed roles with the guard. She spins quickly, tripping the guard and taking the gun from him. Her arm is shaking, I doubt she can kill him, she's not that kind of person.

I shove Violet onto the ground as Landon walks threateningly over to the guard. His eyes are black now too. I lean against the wall and slide down, I'm too exhausted to stand any longer. Alette walks over to me and crouches down beside me.

''Alaina, look away,''  she says.

I do and I'm glad I was warned. All I can hear is screaming and the tearing of flesh as I feel Alette sit against the wall beside me. I bring my knees to my chest and bury my face in my hands trying to ignore the horrifying sounds but before I know it, it's over. The silence is eery and I stay in the position I'm in until I feel a warm hand on my shoulder.

I open my eyes and nearly gasp. The walls and floor are coated in blood and all of what remains of Violet and her guard is torn up limbs that are scattered across the room.

''Don't look,'' Ace tells me in a low and serious tone.

I meet his green eyes, they're filled with affection and worry. My mate has managed to not get a single speck of blood on him. How is that even possible? My arms and legs are covered in goosebumps as I begin to rock back and forth with my knees against my chest. Suddenly, I wish for the peace and quiet of my cell. I close my eyes again.

No, don't be stupid. We can never go back there.

  I ignore the voice as I feel Ace scoop me up from the floor. I feel him walk down a flight of stairs and outside. I feel him place me in the backseat of a car. I feel us driving. I feel the car stop. I hear everyone get out of the car except me. I feel Ace pick me up. I feel him carry me inside. I feel all of these things but I don't open my eyes.

''Alaina?''

''Yeah?'' I reply, my voice hoarse.

''You can open your eyes now.''

''I don't want to,'' my voice is so quiet that I'm not sure Ace can hear me.

''Just trust me,'' he whispers back.

So I open my eyes. At first, I only want to close them again but as I take in my surroundings I realize that I need to keep them open. Because you can't run away with your eyes closed. 

''You can put me down now.''

Ace hesitates slightly before setting me onto my feet.

''I'm going to take a shower.''

Before Ace can protest, I run upstairs and into my bathroom. I turn on the shower but I don't get in it, I slide open the window. I look outside, I'll only break my ankle.

What are you doing?

I'm leaving.

And why are you leaving?

I'm not safe here.

We're safer here than anywhere else. We're with our mate.

He can't protect us.