Chapter Thirteen

Okay. I know I suck at updating regularly but for the last month, I have not been motivated to write. I just wanted to focus on school until it was over and now that it is, I will hopefully be updating at least twice a week.

Word Count: 2028

Alaina P.O.V

I suddenly feel Ace tense behind me so I turn to face him, ''Is everything okay?''

He moves so that I'm forced away from him and he stands, ''I'll be back.''

Quinton whispers something in his mate's ear before standing at the same time as Landon. I feel my face contort to a frown as I wipe my sweaty palms on the blanket I'm sitting on. Maya has brought her legs to her chest and Alette just stares warily at her mate. Before they can leave, Landon freezes. He turns to Alette, grabbing her arms and hauling her up. 

''You need to get inside.''

Disregarding anything else but his mate, Landon leads Alette inside. Maya slowly stands and I mimic her. Quinton walks over to her, fear evidently displayed across her kind features. I can hear his voice, most likely trying to soothe her. I walk over to Ace who's tense and concentrated.

''Alaina get inside.''

''Not until you tell me what's going on.''

He grabs my arm and pulls me all the way inside. Looking directly into my eyes he says, ''I need you to stay inside with Alette and Maya. I need you to stay safe, okay?''

''Ace-''

''Alaina, please.''

''No, it's not fair. How am I supposed to know that you're safe?''

''I can take care of myself.''

''Ace-''

''I have to go.''

''Ace!''

''Alaina, I have to go.''

''Please,'' I lower my voice. It sounds fragile as if I'll break into a million pieces at any moment.

Ace leans in and presses his lips softly against mine.

''I'll be back as soon as I can.''

I watch him go, his words lingering in the air. What he said leaves a feeling of emptiness and sorrow in the pit of my stomach as if something will go wrong. 

No, I can't think like that. 

I let out a sigh, knowing that as long as Ace is gone, I won't stop worrying and I won't be able to stop myself from worrying about my mate. Thinking about losing him is tragic. I sweat nervously, wrapping my arms around myself in Ace's warm, slightly comforting sweater. I already miss the feeling of Ace's presence.

Alette sighs and moves to lock the door we just came through. I stand still as she leaves to go lock the other doors. When she comes back, I'm snapped out of my train of thought.

''I locked the doors and windows and covered what I could. Listen, Alaina, Maya and I are both as worried as you are but just standing here is not a good idea.''

I cross my arms still feeling the worried expression displayed across my face. Alette is right. I can tell by Maya's nearly terrified appearance and I can see that Alette is almost panicking.

We decide to go into the large living room. I sit down in the comfortable corner of the gray, l-shaped couch, immediately thinking how much safer and better I'd feel with my mate here. I'm incapable of not thinking about him which is sort of infuriating considering it only makes me miss him more.