Chapter Sixteen

Ace leaves without saying goodbye which is probably for the best. I can't trust him anymore. A part of me is in agony because of it.

''Alaina, are you okay?''

''I'm fine.''

''If Quenton talked to me like that, I wouldn't be fine,'' Maya speaks up.

We told Maya all about Ace's harsh words when our mates left. She seemed shocked and honestly a little angry too.

''I guess I just don't really care.''

''You don't care?''

I glance at Maya, ''I mean I care a little but I guess I don't know him well enough to be hurt.''

''But he's your mate,'' Maya says, ''I'd be hurt.''

''Quenton would never talk to you like that,'' I reassure her.

''I know,'' she pauses, ''I need to have a shower. I'll be back, okay?''

When Maya leaves, I turn to Alette, ''I need to tell you something.''

''What is it?''

''I didn't know whether or not I should tell Maya but Ace let his wall slip while we were talking.''

''Really? What did you hear?''

''He's definitely hiding something. I heard she can't find out.''

''You don't know what it is?''

''No but we're going to find out.''

''How? It could be anything.''

''It probably has to do with me or the Silver Thunder pack. Or both.''

''It's also something that he doesn't want Maya to know.''

''Probably because she might tell us.''

''Whatever it is, we have to find out before he comes home. And that means we're going to have to let Maya know.''

''But if it has to do with her pack, she might not be on our side.''

''If it's bad enough that Ace, probably Landon and maybe even Quinton are keeping it from all of us then maybe she'll be angry enough to side with us.''

''But then again, I hope it isn't that bad.''

I sigh, ''Me too.''

------------------

An hour and a full explanation to a hopefully trustworthy Maya later, we're sitting on the couch thinking of things it could be.

''Do you think he'd use you as leverage against your own pack?'' Alette asks Maya.

I shake my head, ''No, it would result in a faulty alliance and how long have you known Quinton, Alette?''

''About a year.''

''Do you think he'd do that?''

''Never. Not a chance.''

Suddenly, something doesn't add up.

''Alette. If you've know Quinton for a year, wouldn't he have met Caroline?''

''No, he never met her. That's why he thought you were Caroline.''

I think back to the day when Quinton came to get me, analyzing everything he said.

''Alette. Where do your parents live?''

''They're dead. Why?''

''Does Quinton know that?''

''Yes.''