Chapter Eighteen

Alette says we can't stop in the first city. We can't afford to be that lazy so we continue to run. We reach the second city and we still can't stop. The third and we keep going. Finally, after a day and a half we get to the fourth city and Alette says we can stop. Maya agrees. While we took a few breaks, we never settled for more than an hour or two. The whole werewolf stamina thing is coming in handy.
We all shift into our human forms.
"Here's what we'll do for right now. We check into a hotel. We lay low and we come up with a plan. Maya's pack is about a three day trip from here and a one and a half trip day from the house. That gives us five maybe six days until they come here looking for us. We leave here in two maybe three."
I nod and Maya agrees.
We find a hotel and check-in. Alette uses an accent in case that could help throw off our description. We get into the room and I immediately called dibs on the shower.
"I'm going to go to the store. Get us some food and things. I'll be back in twenty minutes." Alette tells us.

When she leaves Maya looks at me. "Do you think she'll be okay?"
"No. Even if we get Caroline, she loses her mate. She'll never feel completely okay again."
Maya doesn't answer so I get in the shower. I use the crappy shampoo and conditioner the hotel gives and wash away all the dirt. I cleanse the skin that Ace has touched. I wash away his fingerprints like they're just another dirty thing I picked up from running.
When I get out, Alette is back and she has food along with.. hair dye?
"This isn't really an ideal time for makeovers, Alette."
"We need to change our appearances as much as we can."
I stare at her for a moment before asking, "You got scissors?"
Before I let Alette cut and bleach my hair, she assures me that she went through a period of time where she wanted to be a hairdresser. I try my best to believe her.

Maya seemed reluctant to dye her hair but she knew that in the end, her vibrant red hair is too distinct. Alette dyes her hair too. She chose a lilac colour. It suits her.

I stare at myself in the mirror and I hardly recognize my own face. My hair rests just below my shoulders and it's blonde now instead of a glossy brown. I hate how fragile the light hair looks on me.
"What's wrong?" Alette asks me, "Oh, I messed up didn't I?"
I shake my head, "I look so young and docile with blonde hair. I hate it. It's how my parents wanted me to be."
Alette leaves the bathroom and I think I've upset her but she returns with a box of black hair dye. "I got this in case one of us wanted it. I'm glad I did."

I smile as she opens the box.

Hours later, I have medium length, jet black hair, Alette has purple hair and Maya is a blonde.
"I told Landon I'd never dye my hair pink or purple. I said it would make me look like I was from a cartoon or something."
"I think you look hot. And it isn't a vibrant purple, it's more faded. I always loved hair like that. I saw looks in magazines and I always wanted to try it."
"Why didn't you?"
"I feel like I'm not ready yet. That sounds dumb I know."
"No, I get it."
"Quentin told me he loved my red hair."
Maya was the only one who didn't cut her hair and only dyed it.
"I'm so sorry, Maya."
"It's not your fault," she smiles weakly.

A moment passes and Maya changes the subject "So did you get any food?"
Alette shakes her head, "The pharmacy only had sweets and they'll make us feel sick so I figured we could order room service."

"Sounds good but I'm tired as hell so I'll eat in the morning. Goodnight guys."
"Same," Maya says.
"Thank god," Alette groans as she flops down next to me.

We lie in bed quietly, secretly all knowing that we probably won't be getting much sleep tonight. I had four days of running to just think and to be angry. While the anger is still there, it has lessened and it's my heart that feels the heaviest. I feel like I'm sixteen again and I'm sitting back in my cell for the first time. I have no idea what the hell is going to happen next.