Chapter Three

Alaina P.O.V

''Landon?''

''Landon, Quentin, and Ace!''

''Oh.''

''Do you know what that means?''

''That my mate is coming home and I have absolutely no idea how to form words when he's around or talk to him or act normal in his presence?''

''Um. Close? I meant shopping!''

''Alette, what am I going to do? It's going to be so awkward,'' I whine.

''Landon and I will be there and so will Quentin, Quentin always makes jokes so that'll break some tension.''

''Oh my god, are they shopping with us?''

''I don't know. They might consider it since you're new and were held captive. Ace will most likely come and that means so will Landon. Unless Ace makes Quentin come, there's no way he'll come. There's no way we'll be allowed to go alone, so I guess I know nevermind.''

''We should probably get off the ground, huh?''

''Only if you want to.''

I don't reply, I could lie here forever. Before I know it I hear a male voice.

''What are you guys doing?''

''We're lying on the grass, Landon. Duh.''

''Why?''

''Why not?''

This is why I said it would be awkward. If I get up, it'll be weird and if I just lay here, it'll be weird. Great.

''We need to go shopping. Alaina doesn't have anything.''

''You need to get up first,'' Landon says smugly.

Alette grumbles as we both awkwardly stand up and turn to face them. When I meet my mate's eyes, I gulp. I never really noticed how attractive he was before. His bright blue eyes bore into mine and he's clenching his fists, making the veins pop out of his muscular arms. The peaceful breeze makes his black hair slightly move in the wind. A muscle in his cheek twitches making me notice his strong, chiseled jawline. His white t-shirt is tight, revealing his muscular figure and he's paired it with a pair of blue jeans. 

''We're up, can we go shopping now?''

''No.''

''Why?'' Alette whines.

''It's dangerous.''

''Did I ever ask to go alone, nooo nooo, I didn't,'' she fires back.

''I hate shopping,'' Landon argues.

Alette rolls her eyes, ''She has nothing, Landon. Nothing. Zip. Zero.''

''If she wants to go, all she has to do is ask.''

I look at the ground, unsure of what to say. I feel everyone's eyes on me as I fidget with my hands and shift from foot to foot.

''Do you want to go shopping, Alaina?'' he asks.

God, this is awkward. Shoot me. Stab me. Murder me. Just put me out of my misery. Ugh. I'm so socially awkward, why can't I just be like 'Yeah, Landon, I need some damn clothes' but no, instead I'm standing here in front of my mate and three other wolves completely humiliating myself. Just answer, Alaina! Just speak! My god, you're stupid.

''What's wrong, Alaina?'' he asks.

''N-nothing,'' I stammer.

''Do you want to or not?''

''Landon, enough,'' Ace says lowly.

I bring my eyes to him to see he hasn't taken his eyes off of me, I quickly lower my gaze to the ground again.

''Sorry,'' he grumbles.

''You're not going alone,'' Ace says.

''I know, but it's not just a random shopping trip. She actually needs stuff.''

''Landon and I will go, her pack members will be searching for her.''

My head snaps up. He knows. I don't know how much but he knows that I was a prisoner.

''We need shoes,'' Alette says and I realize that we ran out here barefoot. Alette grabs my hand and pulls me inside before anyone can say anything.

''Will these work?'' Alette asks showing me a pair of black converse. I nod and pull them onto my feet, they don't have a speck of dirt on them.

''Are you okay? I'm sorry about Landon, I'm sure he was just trying to ease the tension between you and Ace in his own, weird way.''

''How much does Ace know about me?''

''I have no idea, hun. Landon didn't tell me how much they told him.''

I give her a weak smile as she pulls on a pair of white sneakers to go with her flowy, black top and blue shorts.

''Are you going to reject Ace?'' she asks all of a sudden.

The thought breaks my heart, ''No, of course not! Why would you think that?''

''You just seem uncomfortable around him, that's all.''

''I don't mean to, I just don't know what to say. Do you think he thinks that? What if he rejects me? He's going to, oh my god, my mate is going to reject me!'' I yell, tears forming in my eyes.

''Sh, no, he's not. I'm sorry, Alaina. I shouldn't have said anything. This is all so new to you, I'm so sorry.''

I blink and a few tears slide down my cheeks. Alette embraces me in a warm hug, ''He's not going to reject you, Alaina. He's not.''

I choke back a sob as I feel an emptiness in my chest.

''You need to calm down, if Ace hears you crying, he's going to come in here.''

Let him hear me. All I want is Ace right now.

''I can't,'' I sob.

''Mates can't handle seeing their mates in pain, Alaina. You need to calm down, he's bound to hear you if you don't.''

I hiccup as I pull away from the hug and wipe my eyes.

''Thank god for waterproof mascara,'' Alette says.

I laugh half-heartedly.

''Damn, your eyes are red and puffy. You pick now to have an emotional breakdown? You serious, girl?''

''My bad,'' I reply.

''If he sees you like this, he's going to lose his sh*t.''

''How so?''

''I don't think you want to know.''

There's a knock on the door and I panic.

''It's not Ace, it's Landon,'' Alette says as she opens the door and Landon steps in.

He sees my face and guilt floods his expression, ''Wow, Alaina, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you that uncomfortable.''

Alette slaps him upside the head, ''Are you deranged, she's not crying about you.''

He keeps staring at me, ''Oh. Well, she needs to calm down before Ace hears her or he's going to go ballistic.''

''I told her that.''

''Alaina, I need to ask you something. Are you going to reject Ace?''

My eyes widen as Alette slaps him again and more tears fall from my eyes.

''Ow, what did I do?''

''You're an idiot!''

Alette hugs me again as I sob uncontrollably. 

''Sh*t, Alaina, please calm down. Ace is going to-''

''What's going on?''

I open my watery eyes to see my very own mate standing in the doorway.