Chapter Five

Alaina P.O.V

I wake up to a feeling of movement next to me, the bed dips slightly as Ace gets back into it.

''Where did you go?'' I mumble groggily. God, my morning voice isn't attractive at all. Oh lord, I probably have morning breath. Ew, send help.

''Pack business,'' he replies pulling me into him.

''What time is it?''

''It's too early to get up, that's all you have to know.''

I try to get up a little to check the time but Ace doesn't let me. I try to get his arm off of me but it's secured around my waist. Again.

''Can you let me go?''

''I can but I don't want to,'' he says. I feel his breath on my neck and it makes me shiver. I feel his smile against my skin. 

I realize that I have to use the bathroom, ''Please.''

''I think I'm good.''

''I have to pee,'' I admit.

He chuckles then lifts his arm off of me. I slide out of bed and scurry to the bathroom. I quickly do my business and brush my teeth. I splash cold water on my face, realizing I have stray hairs sticking up all over the place I start brushing my hair. My jaw drops when I register the fact that I'm only wearing pajama shorts and a crop top. I smack my forehead. Idiot, wear clothes that cover more skin next time! I feel too self-conscious to go back out there now. 

''Alaina?'' 

''Yeah?''

''I have to go deal with something, it's urgent. Stay inside of the house and keep the doors locked. Don't open it until Alette has gotten in contact with me and Landon, okay?''

I force myself to open the door, ''Is everything okay?''

''Yeah, just stay inside.''

I raise my eyebrow, ''Don't lie to me.''

''Patrol saw wolves near the border trying to sneak in. They might be from your pack but they could be rogues. When patrol went to scare them off, they attacked. We're keeping one prisoner right now but the rest are dead, I have to go interrogate him.''

''Oh,'' is all I manage to say.

''Nothing gets in or even near our land without us knowing about it. Don't worry, you're safe.''

''Then why did you tell me to stay inside and keep the doors locked? What will a lock keep out that patrol won't?''

''It just makes me feel better about leaving you alone. I really hate leaving you alone,'' he says as he takes my hand and starts tracing circles on my skin with his thumb.

''Why?''

''Because I'm not there to protect you.''

''I don't need to be protected all the time.''

''Yes, you do. You don't have any experience with fighting and there's an entire pack of angry wolves looking for you.''

''Whatever,'' is my best response.

''I'll be back as soon as I can, okay?''

I nod as he reluctantly lets go of my hand and walks out of the room. I sigh, I wish he didn't have to leave.

Once I'm dressed in a pair of black skinny jeans and a white, flowy tank top, I go downstairs. I find Alette in the kitchen, sitting at the counter on her phone.

''I'm bored,'' I tell her plopping onto a stool.

''Me too,'' she replies, turning her phone off.