Chapter Seventeen

So obviously it's been a REALLY long time since I've updated this story. Looking back at what I wrote, there is a lot of things that I would change if I were to re-write it but I'm genuinely way too lazy. So the storyline is going to keep going the way it's going but if you notice a change in the way I write, that's why.

===============================================================================

Alette's in a frenzy after reading the letter. She's already launched a chair across the room and is taking deep breaths to restrain herself from doing any more damage. Maya is skimming over the letter for a second time.

''I can't believe this. He lied, my mate actually lied to me. Alpha comes first, of course, right? No. that's not what it should be. Your mate should come first, always. That's why people become Rogues because they choose their mate over their pack."

Alette speaks so quickly I almost can't understand her. I stay quiet. I don't know what to say.

After a long minute I finally speak, ''What are we going to do?''

''We're gonna go to that pack and get my sister back ourselves, that's what we're gonna do."

"We can't do that and you know it," Maya says, "The three of us versus an entire pack plus our mates who would smell us instantly wouldn't go our way."

"We can't just do nothing!"

"Trust me, we know that. We will figure this out but you aren't thinking straight right now."

"Can you really blame me?"

"No, of course not but we need to come up with a logical and smart solution that isn't impulsive and you need to calm down before we do that."

"How are you so calm about this? Quentin lied to you too! Alaina, you too! Ace lied to you. You know what, this is all because he wanted to get you. This is your fault too."

The last sentence is laced with a type of anger I would never expect from Alette.

"Hey, hey. You don't mean that. Alaina didn't know about any of it either. The blame is on members in my pack and our mates. Not us. We have to work together not turn against each other."

"I'm sorry, I just can't believe that-"her voice breaks and she covers her mouth with her hand.

"I know," I whisper.
Alette shakes her head and starts to walk out of the office, "I am leaving. I'm not staying in this miserable house."
Maya grabs the files and follows her.
I grab her arm, "When he sees those are gone, he'll know we know."
She looks at me with empathy in her eyes, "He'll know as soon as he comes home and we aren't here."

I let her go and listen to both of the girls head upstairs to pack a bag.
I look down at Ace's desk. One of the drawn pictures of me sits on it, glaring at me. I pick it up and stare at it for a moment before tearing it up and watching the pieces flutter to the floor.
On my way out, I close the door.

"How the hell are we gonna get past the border?" I ask Alette.
"I know the rotations of the guards," she says as she shoves clothing into a duffel bag, "I should be able to sneak us out."

So much for the top-notch, indestructible security Ace always bragged about.

"Okay."
"Go pack a bag. You'll need it."

We leave out of the back door as soon as the sunsets. We shift and carry our bags in our mouths. We run almost the full way to the border but start to creep when we get close so we aren't too loud. If we get caught, we're ultimately and totally screwed.

Surprisingly, I don't see anybody guarding the border. I guess the claims of total protection all around this pack really were a load of crap. We get past way too easily. Soon, we start running. Running away from my supposed home. From the lies we were all fed.

We keep running and we don't stop.