The Last Steps

Charizard touched down right in front of Viridian City's Pokémon Center. We jumped off of the lizard and I called him back. 

"Let's go to the Pokémon Center first," Daisy suggested. "We can rest up, and then you'll be all set for Victory Road!"

I started to think about how close I was to the end. We had been traveling for a few weeks, and I had collected every badge. I realized Daisy wouldn't be able to join me for the Elite Four battles. 

We entered the Pokémon Center and I left my Pokémon at the front counter. They'd need to rest up, we were almost at the end. Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pikachu, and Charizard had all grown so much. I couldn't wait to take on the final battle, and then properly thank them for all their effort. 

Daisy and I parted ways for the night so I could get some sleep. While dreaming, I felt myself being pulled toward the Cerulean Cave.

I looked around, my eyes falling onto Rogue Two. The Mewtwo had its arms crossed. "Why have you not let me go? Don't you long for a better world?"

I tilted my head. "What better world?" 

Rogue Two seemed to be looking past me. I turned to see MissingNo was looming over me. The Missing Palace had overlapped with Cerulean Cave. "What's going on here?"

"Visit me again... and I'll explain," MissingNo's voice rippled through me, and I shot awake. 

I met up with Daisy, and we started walking through Route 22. I could feel my heart pounding in my ears. I was trying to prepare mentally for the Elite Four, but I couldn't help but think about the dream I had. 

"So, Red," Daiy cleared her throat. "I won't be able to go with you once you're at Victory Road... are you ready for the Elite Four?"

I glanced at her but didn't reply. I was trying to focus on what had happened with Rogue Two and MissingNo. What did all these dreams mean?

We entered the Reception Gate. Two guards were standing inside, watching over the entrance to Victory Road. There was a path to Mount Silver, a mountain with a beautiful view at the top. Then, there was also a path down to the Johto Region.

I could feel my heart pounding like a drum as I walked into the gate.

One of the guards smiled. "Another set of trainers, eh? Guess everyone is getting their final badges. We just need to see the Boulder Badge, and then you can keep going."

I took out my badge case and showed off my Gym Badges. The man gave me a thumbs-up. "Head on through. Welcome to the Pokémon League."

Daisy frowned. "Guess this is it."

I turned to see my friend was looking off to the side. Thanks for being with me this whole time, Daisy. I'll be thinking of you the whole way!

She perked up a bit, and then I decided to give her a hug. You're my best friend. Daisy stifled a laugh. "So that's why you were being quiet. Go get them! I'll be watching from here!" 

I felt a bit bad that I let Daisy think that was the reason. However, it wasn't like she would understand. I pulled away from her, and then I walked on to Victory Road.

Victory Road started with a grand path made of bricks, with sweeping archways towering above me. There was an occasional stop where I had each of my badges checked. Eventually, I got through the final gate and arrived at the cavern that separated me from the Indigo Plateau. 

I walked into the cavern. The dark interior was illuminated by a handful of torches. Before me was a labyrinth full of powerful trainers. I took a deep breath and plunged into the cavern, taking on various powerful trainers and trying to find my way through the stone maze.