Speaking From the Heart

Daisy and I walked into the gate. We were about to head through when the attendant stopped us. "Hold on! Do you two have bikes?" We shook our heads and he frowned. "You can't ride Cycling Road if you don't have a bike, sorry to say."

Daisy crossed her arms. "Why do we need bikes? Can't we just walk? We're trying to get to Fuchsia City!"

The attendant didn't seem that sympathetic to our issue. "I'm sorry, but no. Cycling Road is designed for bikers and is much too dangerous to traverse if you don't have one. It's a straight-shot down a steep hill over water. If you want to get to Fuchsia, you can either take a ship from Vermilion or go down through Lavender Town and the Double Battle Alley."

I could tell that we weren't going to be able to get through. Daisy prepared to argue, but I told her that we shouldn't bother.

The girl sighed. "Fine, let's get out of here then!" Daisy stormed out of the gate. I followed behind her, and the attendant went back to reading a magazine.

Daisy had come to a stop right outside of the entrance. A massive blob of mas was gating off the rest of the path. The Pokémon resembled a cat, with blue fur and tiny ears upon its head. The Pokémon had a round belly that blocked the way back to Celadon City. The Pokémon let out a loud snore, fast asleep.

I remembered hearing about how a few Snorlax would roam around these parts of the region and loved to fall asleep in the most inconvenient spots.

"Are you kidding me?" Daisy shouted into the sky. She was started to grow frustrated, and began to push on the Pokémon's body.  "Hey, Snorlax! Wake up!" 

I sighed and went up to the girl. Don't think that one's going to work. I tried thinking of some way to get the Pokémon to move. Pikachu could probably jolt him awake, but then I'd have to deal with a grumpy Snorlax.

"And now we're stuck! Great!" Daisy threw her hands up and sat down on the grass. She buried her hands in her face. "This is so stupid!"

I sat down next to Daisy. I tried signing something to her, but she wasn't looking at me. I couldn't just sit there, though. My best friend needed someone to talk to her. I shook my head, I could still do something. 

I took Daisy's hand, and she glanced up at me. I wanted to say something. Instead, I just met her green eyes with my own. I squeezed her hand gently.  We'll figure it out, and it'll be fine. We'll just have to stay in the gate, and then Snorlax will get up and leave eventually. I was mainly telling myself, since I couldn't say it to her.

Daisy sighed. "Red, I'm sorry I let myself get like this. I know it's stupid that little stuff keeps getting to me. I wish I could just not but it feels like... like I'm letting you down."

I stared at her, a bit confused. "Like when we got lost in Viridian Forest, that was my fault! It was my stupid brother who did that! And then when we got in trouble with Team Rocket in Cerulean... or just now when I led us over here. I'm always either causing problems or losing."

A few tears streamed down Daisy's face as she shared all of this. I tried to think of what I could do, what I could say to her. Oh Daisy... I glanced down. I was useless for something like this, I wish I could just talk to you. 

The girl's head shot up. "Wh... is someone there?" Daisy began to look around. The idea crossed my mind, but there was no way. Daisy? Can you... hear me?

I watched as my best friend looked directly at me. "Is... is that... you?" Yeah, this is Red. I projected my thoughts into her head, just like I did when communicating with my Pokémon. 

The girl's eyes widened. "How is this possible? This is amazing! This is incredible!"

I felt a bit energized by her jubilation. I've been able to do this with my Pokémon when we're battling. For some reason, I guess I can also reach you.