11 | magic technique

L I L Y

L I L Y

Irene walked up to Lily, fully clad in black and with extravagant accessories dangling from her neck, wrists and ears.

"Do you think I look spooky like this?" she asked, twirling around to give her friend a better look of her outfit.

Lily snorted. "Ira, it's horror night, not who-is-better-at-pulling-off-a-dark-outfit-with-ridiculous-accessories night."

Irene's bottom lip protruded in a pout and she crossed her arms over her chest.

"But I love my outfit."

"Honestly, Ira, you look like a teenager who's still stuck on their emo phase." Lily walked up to the wardrobe and grabbed the ragged mahogany dress she'd purchased at the accessory shop for thirty dollars. "This is what a Halloween outfit's supposed to look like."

Irene, who'd just removed her Nirvana tee and tossed it unceremoniously across the room, let out a scornful laugh.

"Why'd you even waste money on that?" she asked mockingly. "You could've simply grabbed the curtains and dug some holes in them with scissors."

"Merlin, how did I not think of that?" Lily gasped. "Obviously, having to pay for the damage afterwards would've been way cheaper than just thirty dollars. Wow, Ira, your intelligence keeps impressing me more and more each day!"

Irene walked over to the wardrobe, sticking out her tongue at her. Lily shook her head with a laugh and proceeded to put on her dress.

"Help me with the zipper," she said, swiping her flaming curls to the side to expose her bare back.

"You don't deserve it after making fun of my outfit. But I'm too nice to let you walk around with your zipper undone."

Lily looked at her reflection in the long rectangular mirror. The floor-length dress hugged her slim figure perfectly. The shimmering mahogany cloth got shaggy from above the knees to the ankles, revealing a good part of Lily's slender legs, which were clothed by a pair of black fishnet tights. Despite being tight-fitting, the dress had long bell sleeves, which were also shaggy and ripped.

"There you go," Irene said as she finished zipping up her dress. She rested her chin on Lily's shoulder, examining her outfit in the mirror. "Not bad, huh? I expected you to look hideous in this thing, but I bet you could wear a rubbish bag and still kill it, Lils."

Lily laughed. "No, I bet I'd look mental if I did that. Now, you want a hand picking out your costume?"

Irene stepped away from the mirror and ran a hand through her raven hair, pushing back her fringe.

"Actually, yeah, I'd like that."

▼