A reaping to remember.

I stand with bated breath near the edge of the stage, watching with a sickened stomach as all the kids stand together; dressed in their best...what sickens me even more is that I see my friends standing in the pens... It wasn't so long ago that was me, the reaping was a major stigma of anxiety- making me a nervous wreck for weeks before.

The morning of my reaping dawned a clear sky, almost as blue as the sea. I woke early, earlier than my mother and father. I'd crept out of the house and made my way down to the sea, stripping down and submerging in the water I swam out, into the morning sunrise. The water was cool against my skin, and washed away my fears. I'd only came to shore when the sun was firmly above the horizon.

My mother had helped me dress; in a tight jumpsuit she'd made; whilst she did a fish plait in my hair. With knocking knees my parents had walked me to the justice building, my mother leaving me to sign in with a half-smile and my father a quick grin and a squeeze on my shoulder. I'd stood with the others I knew the majority by sight; we didn't smile at each other but stood with a look of determination etched on our faces. I wrung my hands together, my knuckles going white under the strain, as I bit my lip.

'Okay Ayda?' Finnick purrs behind me. I jump in surprise.

'Yeah...' I sigh.

'Never gets any easier sugar you just got to learn to accept it.'

'How?' I ask.

'I still don't know.' The purr is all gone from Finnick's voice, I turn and look at him.

'How many years you been doing this?'

'Six and you're the only one I've brought home.' His voice is soft. The silence is like a piece of string between us that only gets longer the more we pull at it. 'Be strong Ay.'

'I'll try.' I say turning back to watch the inflow of potential tributes.

'Ayda my darling!' The voice is so high pitched, but so full of joy I can't help but smile.

'Kizzy!' I laugh, air kissing her back as she pulls me into an over dramatic hug.

'You look fabulous darling, my little victor! I've missed you!'

'I've missed you too Kizzy, how I got anywhere on time I'll never know!' I laugh.

'My cheeky victor! So your my new mentor?'

'Yeah.'

'You'll be fine, and if you need anything just ask my darling- but we must have tea on the train because my dear you're already a hot-topic in the capital!'

'I'm what?'

'Oh yes darling everyone is itching for you to come back, your young...your fresh what's not to love? Now where's Axel? I know he's here only he could do that with satin!'

'Somewhere by the train I think...' I mumble.

'Oh well then we must all have tea once I'm finished up here.'

'Sure...sure.' I say with a wave, as she wanders up the stairs onto the stage area outside the justice building. I feel my stomach churn; her easy dismissal of the reaping sickens me- the ability to rejoice in an event of murder...

'Not the time Ayda.' I murmur under my breath, as the microphone on stage clicks on and Kizzy's breathy voice echoes into our little district.

'Welcome, welcome to the reaping of the 74th annual Hunger Games! Now before we begin I have a video for you all that's made its way all the way from the capital- oh yes!' Her voice cuts out as the video begins the same one we have been subjected to for many years, a monologue about the dramas of the rebellion and how The Hunger Games are the most crucial part of our system, I listen with only half interest as my eyes rake over the pen of girls all standing watching the screen with wide eyes and my only thought is who am I going to have to try and bring home?