11: Resolved

11: Resolved

"You have one voice message," the robotic sound of the voice mail said,

A beep sounded before Isaac Jefferson's voice came to life, "Hello, Miller, how is it going? So, it seems that you're the only one who didn't pay the rent." He chuckled, "I hope you have the money, girl, I really do."

Faye groaned sleepily before she pulled herself up, setting up on her small bed. She rubbed both eyes before she gave a quick glance around the tiny bed room that only fit her single bed and the neat pile of clothes she kept folded under the rectangle window.

Sighing loudly, she tried to shake the darkened mood she carried along all through the previous day. That was not how she operated. She always pulled the positive out of anything and kept herself light and smiley.

It was the only way to go on or else she'd crumble and wither. She couldn't have that; so many things depended on her well-being.

Having said that, though, she probably had to start packing her things.

She stood up and stretched, walking out of the room. She gave a quick assessment to the place. The small kitchen beside the front door, the living room that pretty much consisted of the striped blue sofa, a white plastic chair and a small round, blue coffee table in the middle.

Her bedroom door was beside the bathroom door behind the couch. Faye dragged a long, heavy breath and blew it out slowly. She looked up at the wall clock; it was already eight in the morning.

She groaned loudly. If things had worked out, Cain would've been having his exam right this second.

She sat there for a few minutes, contemplating her next step. She should start looking for a cheap place, probably far, far away from the school, not that this place was that close, but still, it was perfect for her.

By ten o'clock, Faye was done packing. Everything she owned was summed up in two cupboard boxes. It was really sad. But it was easier for her to move around like this.

She was about to call Isaac when a soft knock on her door stopped her. Amanda wouldn't get the money until this afternoon. Faye had no idea who would visit her now.

It couldn't be Stan. Faye felt her heart speed up at the thought. The meeting was tonight. They usually did it at night. But Stan could surprise her any minute.

Another knock woke her up from her revere. She looked down at her yoga pants and grey T-shirt. Her hair was a big mess on top of her head. She quickly pulled it back and, using the hair-band around her wrist, she tied it back.

She started walking to the door, dreading each step. "Who is it?" she called, she hated not having a peephole on her door.

"Is this miss Faye Miller's residence?" a male voice came from behind the door.

"Er.." Faye gulped, "Yes?"

"This is Mrs. Jasmine Vanderbilt." A female voice said.

Faye frowned at the name. What was Cain's mother here for? Did she come to show her disappointment at how Cain's situation turned out? She must've seen it coming, though. She was his mother after all.

Curious to what was it all about, Faye pulled the door open, meeting Jasmine Vanderbilt once again, a tall man in his forties stood beside her.

"Miss Miller." Jasmine nodded in acknowledgement, her facial features half covered by a huge sunglasses, the other unreadable.