4: Trapping Him

4: Trapping Him

"Hi, Callum." Fay answered her phone on the fourth ring, trapping the small, outdated device between her shoulder and ear as she opened the drawer beside Cain's bed.

"What's up? Wait, let me guess..." Callum's condescending voice said, "It's about that last job you took. What was it again? Oh, right..." Faye rolled her eyes but knew he couldn't see her.

"Shut up." She said, carefully flipping through the things that were inside the small drawer. When she didn't find what she was looking for again, she slammed it shut.

"I told you, didn't I? You'd be wasting your time."

How many time had she hear that in the past two days? It was too late to back out now, anyway. She already told the other three jobs she had that she wouldn't be available this week. There was nothing for her to do except this... wasting-of-time job.

"Yes, you did." Faye said absentmindedly when she finally found the last one of the three things she needed. Bingo! The final fourth one was with Cain at the moment. She'd have to sneak it out of him.

"He's a self-absorbed asshole. He's also mindlessly aggressive. You should be scared shitless of him." Callum added and then a scolding female sounded from the background.

"Is that Mia?" Faye asked him, a smile forming on her face, "put her on." As weird as it was for her twenty years old friend to have a fiancée, Fay liked Mia. She was a nice girl.

"Faye!" she heard Maia squeal.

"Hi Mia." Faye chuckled. To her, Maia always resembled a nine-year-old child.

"Hiiiiii! Cal told me about your crazy new job."

"It's not a job, Mia. Just a one-week-boost." Faye clarified.

"Awww, I am so worried about you. Cain can be... difficult sometimes." She said sympathetically. Well, difficult was an understatement. Faye took one last look at the three beautiful shiny objects she found before she shoved them inside her bag and zipped it in.

"You don't say." Fay said sarcastically and heard Maia laugh.

"He's not that bad. Trust me. Inside that hard shell, there's a heart. Promise." Mia was a sweet girl. She was also a dreamy girl, which sometimes led to sweet over-exaggerated statements.

Faye turned to the dark room around her and tried to believe Mia's words. Yeah, can't trust that.

"Sweetie, I've got to go right now. Here's Cal." Mia told her finally and Faye heard the shuffling sound as Mia handed the phone to Callum.

"Bye Mia." Faye said before she heard Callum speak.

"So what happened with him?" he asked, humor obvious in his tone.

"You mean beside walking out on me before we even begin? Hmmm, gee, let me think." She shot at him and heard him laugh loudly.

"I told you not to get involved with him, Faye. He's a lost cause." He told her.

Faye didn't want to believe him. The words Cain threw at her before he left ran to her head.

'It's better this way.'

"I don't know, Cal. I'll see what'll happen."

"Well, let's hope he comes around. It's unlikely though." Callum told her.