12: Stalking the Darkness

He did it. He couldn't say he was proud, but Cain felt relieved that he did it. It was as if a giant weight was lifted up from his shoulders.

He couldn't help the foreign smile that stretched across his face as he stared up at his ceiling. He was sprawled across his bed, feeling light and carefree.

Who knew taking a final exam could make you feel this good, he mused to himself.

But it wasn't the exam that gave him that sense of euphoria. He knew damn well what did.

A knock on his front door followed by the voice of one of the most annoying people pulled him out of his daze, and he pulled himself up, setting straight on his bed and staring at the door.

"Cain, open up. I've got more urgent things to do." His mother said heavily, as if she'd rather be anywhere but here. Which was probably the case.

"It's open," Cain called, might as well get it over with.

The door opened slowly. Paul, his mother's loyal assistant, showing up first followed by his mother in all her royal fury.

"Cain," she nodded in greeting and Cain hummed something in respond.

"I'm going to make this quick. I am sure you have," she gestured around, "more amusing things to do."

Cain just stared back.

"I got your results this morning. Pretty good, considering," she stopped, probably looking for the best insult, "...you."

Cain scoffed.

"Really impressive what that girl could do in a couple of days." She continued, "to be honest I didn't really believe she could get through to you." She gestured at him again as if he was some kind of a leech.

"Yeah," Cain finally spoke, proceeding to make sure what he really went to that blasted exam for was going to happen, "She did well, and she wants her payment. I think you better send it to her now instead of spending your precious time with me." He mimicked her, gesturing to himself and almost laughed at her annoyed expression.

"Don't fret, boy," she raised a brow, "I already paid her. Personally, actually."

Cain felt his face twitch at her last reveal. Why on earth would she give Faye the money herself? She had that little lapdog, Paul, to do her work.

"Too bad she wasn't interested in my offer."

Cain frowned, "what offer?" he asked, but he really did not want to know.

"What do you care?" Jasmine shot back, her lips pursed to keep from smiling. She was obviously amused.

"What offer?" Cain asked again, this time it came out as a growl.

"Well, I just told her to keep this job for the next semester, you know, since she was the only thing that pushed you to take some responsibility." She gave him a pointed look, "but it turned out the girl is too clever."

Cain scowled, his fists bunching at his sides, "How so?"

Jasmine smirked, "well, she refused."

The simple word was thrown at Cain like a sharp blow to the gut. He didn't know why he didn't expect that much. Hell, he didn't want her to come back. But a little, tiny part of him hoped she didn't hate him over what he did with her. Obviously she wasn't that forgiving.

who is?

"Even when she knew how much she'd be paid, she strongly refused," Jasmine continued, dusting her sleeve with her hand before examining it, "it was very odd. The condition of that place she lived in was... well, awful."

Cain felt his expression drop; he didn't know what he felt exactly. Guilt, maybe? But he wasn't responsible for Faye's living condition, so why did it feel so painful to know how she was doing?

Jasmine finally shrugged, sighing as if this whole conversation exhausted her. It exhausted him, though, so much he felt like falling back on his bed and giving in to the darkness.

But that was the cowered way out, he thought. That was how he handled everything else in his life.

"Well, good night, then. I expect good things from you this semester."

Cain didn't respond. He felt heavy.

Sighing again, Jasmine waved for Paul and the two of them left Cain, still setting on the bed with his mind doing all sort of crazy thoughts.

One thought kept popping up though, no matter how much he tried to squish it down, it kept on coming up until he surrendered.

He stood up and grabbed his Jacket. When he passed in front of the wall mirror, he halted, scowling at himself in the mirror. He needed a shower, and probably a fresh set of clothes.

*************************************

It wasn't hard to find the location of Faye's house. A quick dig into Faye's abandoned bag and Cain found an old squashed envelope that had her address on it. It didn't go unnoticed that it was a rent notice. A few months' rent notice.

The ride took him about twenty minutes from his house. Once he reached the street, he parked the car and stepped out of it.

He wasn't sure which of the shady looking buildings was Faye's and he couldn't know for the life of his what was he suppose to do once he found it.

It was slightly before ten. Why did he feel like stalking her at this time? He didn't know.

But then he started walking down the street. He heard a door open, breaking the silence that hovered over the area. He couldn't help but turn to the source of the sound, suddenly feeling like bolting and aborting his plan.

That thought intensified when the one who broke the silence of the night was none other than Faye Miller.

He hid behind a tree, feeling like the stupid stalker that he was, and watched as she locked her door and started walking to the stairs that ran down the side of the building.

Something was fishy about the way she kept looking around, as if she was worried someone might see her, so he backed further into the tree's shadow.

There was something different about her. Her hair was loose and free, peeking out of the hoodie she pulled above her head. She tightened her grip on the handbag she was carrying.

What are you doing? He snapped at himself. Walk up to her, wasn't that what you came here for?

But just when he gathered enough gut to come out, he heard a car noise at the right end of the street and when he looked, he saw a large black van driving towards her.

Cain was alarmed. This car was definitely suspicious, and it was so close to Faye. A protective instinct told him to call out for her or something.

But then, and to confirm his suspicions, the car came to a screeching halt right next to where Faye was standing at the curb, blocking his view of her. Before he could do anything and in a matter of seconds, the car moved again, speeding up crazily, and when he looked back at the spot, Faye was already gone.

What the heck just happened?

******************************

So sorry it's short. I am a bit busy. but it's a chapter  non- the- less. Thank you for reading. 

don't forget to vote and leave a comment .

love,

Red