9: Wanheda.

CLARKE:

The sun began to set over Polis, the last golden rays of sunshine fading over the horizon. I sat in my room inside Polis Tower yearning  to be back in the woods. I craved  solitude, the uncomplicated life I had begun to lead. Some may say I was running  away, maybe  I was but out there I answered to no one, no politics, no pressure just my own survival.
That evening I had seen my mother for the  first  time in months. It felt strange. I had walked away from Skaikru, left that life behind. I'd spent so much time by myself it was hard to feel comfortable around  people, even my own family. After just a week of being in Polis I had already had to face my feelings towards  Lexa and her betrayal  at  Mount Weather.  I was forced into the centre of grounder politics and a power struggle between The Commander and the clans. Reluctantly, I had struck up an uneasy alliance with Lexa.
I found myself sitting nervously as blue paint brushed across my eyes. My hair was braided and my clothes no longer practical, now ceremonial. I  had once again become this leader figure for my people, to have them initiated into the coalition, to protect them from those who still sought to eradicate us. All I had to do was bow to Lexa and show support for The Commander. Responsibility had found me once again but it had also  brought  a conflict  of the heart and mind. As I was led to the  doors of the throne room to seal  my position as Wanheda  allie of Heda, I wondered if I could  go through with it. Doubt quickly gave way to duty.
My heart was pounding in my chest as I waited for those double doors to swing open. I caught my reflection in a piece of broken mirror hanging on the wall. I didn't recognise the girl looking back at me. She was more grounder than Skaikru. She looked stronger but somewhat sorrowful. I felt Clarke  Griffin slipping away, but now was not the time  for  that girl who once wandered the corridors of The Ark. Head held high, awaiting my destiny, now was the time for  Wanheda  to rise.