16: A Single Bullet

LEXA:

I never comprehended what happened the moment I opened that door, the day my world came crashing down.
Clarke had left my chambers to begin her journey back to her people. I knew in my heart she had to make things  right, she needed to be the girl I always held with such respect, a leader to her people. It didn't make it any easier, I loved her and I was forced to let her go. Sitting upon my bed I held the image of her in my mind, still feeling her touch upon my skin, her lips pressed against mine. How could I let her leave? We'd lost so much time denying our hearts, I couldn't face moving forward without her. I acted on pure instinct to go to her, to try to work out a way she could stay. I couldn't loose her once again, I couldn't spend anymore time holding my heart together whilst all it did was yearn.
After getting dressed I made my way to Clarkes room, thinking of everything I wanted to say. How could I bear to see her go, when she was in every beat of my heart?
I would always fight for her and I would die for her if I had to. I never knew how much truth lay in that thought until I opened that door and felt the bullet hit me.
It was the look on Clarkes face that made me realise what had actually happened. The loud bangs I'd heard moments before, now a shocking reality of their nature.
I looked at Clarke, her face full of shock. She called my name, as my body gave way to the searing pain and collapsed to the ground. I couldn't stand, I couldn't reach for her, I had become helpless to stop what was happening.
As Titus laid my body upon Clarkes bed, I could feel the black blood rushing from my body, I knew my time was running out. All I could think of was her. Too much time is wasted on hate, on running away from how we feel. I regretted wasting time, moments I could have held her, kissed her, told her I loved her over and over again.
She fought to save me, to allow my life to remain in this world by her side. I knew there was nothing she could do, nothing anyone could do. She never gave up on me and neither would I give up on her. I once made a vow to my Skygirl to protect her and her people, the last thing I could offer her in the time I had left was to make sure Titus stood by this.
The sands in the hourglass ran away as my life closed to an end. I fought to stay but my body didn't listen to the screaming of my soul. How, after all this time were we dealt such a bitter end? There was nothing left only heartbreak at this cruel twist of fate. I was taught to believe that death is not the end, but without her it may as well be.
Reshop my Skygirl. Remember me, always.