Chapter 2; Life Within A Pack

Copyright © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 2; Life Within A Pack

Running on all fours, - being a wolf was just like second nature to me now. Ever since I had been bitten, I had somehow been able to shift my form into a wolf. My first transition had happened the day I had left hospital, back within Britain.

Things didn't really go that smoothly for me either during my first physical shift, as it had kind of freaked me out quite a lot at the time. Yet, as the weeks had passed, I was gaining a lot more control over my new inner self. It had only been four weeks, but whenever I shifted my form the knowledge I had gained and somehow knew, - felt like a life times.

Out of the ranch, trees covered most of the landscape, before the land opened up to wide flat open planes. The land sloped and dipped between the valleys; the mountains rose up clawing at the night sky, as the moon floated high above the canopy, a large disk against the cloudless night.

My pure white fur glistened within the moonlight. I guessed that my fur was white, due to my blonde hair, - but that was only a guess. My fur was very thick and kept me warm against the cold, brisk northern winds in which could pick up and blow, sweeping through the mountains and across the land at any given moment.

The smell of pine hit my senses, as did the scent of many other natural grey wolves. These wolves weren't shifters' like myself, - these wolves were true natural grey Canadian wolves. I had never met a shifter like myself since arriving at my uncle's ranch, though I knew somehow that it had to have been a shifter who had bitten me back within Britain.

Moving up the slope of a nearby mountain, the terrain was a lot easier to transverse within my wolf form, as I carefully sniffed out what was ahead of me. More wolves had moved in upon the area, a hell of a lot more than there were last week. Yet, none of them had made a single move to hunt upon my uncle's ranch; I just hoped that my teachings weren't going unnoticed.

I'm not trying to change the wolves; they're way too smart for that. Instead, I'm trying to teach them how to distance themselves away from the humans as much as possible. New hunting methods; new hunting grounds, anything in which would keep the wolves away from the scattered ranches, villagers and towns within the northern peninsular area. To many innocent wolves a year were being killed, just for hunting within the wrong place. Yet, the way I saw it, the wolves where here well before the humans ever where.

Howls, playful yelps and barks erupted around me, as pack of twelve grey healthy wolves playfully broke through the brush right in front of me. Jumping around with excitement and greets of hello, the pack were overjoyed to see me. Giving a few nips back, to show that I was still top dog, we ran off into the trees together as a pack.

Leading the pack, I headed out of the valley and into the next. There was no human population around this area for hundreds of miles; not that those miles meant much to a migrating pack of hungry wolves.

Food was scarce, but the migrating herds hadn't moved on just yet, so finding enough food for the entire pack was not a problem. The wolves hunted many things, mostly Caribou or Buffalo; hares and even waterfowl if they could catch one, were the small species of animal the wolves would hunt.

Showing the grey's where to find their food was the easy part, but getting them to stick to it, was another problem. Migrating herds moved around so often with the changing of the seasons that the wolves had to sometimes track for miles, just to find and to hunt down their food. That is where the humans' ranches, villages and towns had come into the problem, as the wolves saw the ranch animals as easy sitting prey.

Tracking a scent also came natural to me, I could tell you straight away how old a scent was. That was if I could speak, but as a wolf all I could do was bark, growl or howl. The pack followed me without question; why they had taken to me, I couldn't tell you. I was nothing like a true proper wolf; well, maybe upon the outside, but not within the minds sense.