Chapter 21; Skye's Sudden Disappearance

Copyright ©

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 21; Skye's Sudden Disappearance

Skye's sudden departure and chosen path straight through the centre of the herd of Caribou, had caused so much confusion and mayhem, that each of them lost track of her the instant she had past them all by. The herd of Caribou scattered; Samuel called after his niece, torn he also couldn't allow his herd to stampede away.

Pulling the reins back around and regaining control over his own horse, Jacob quickly kicked the horse into a sprint, leaving Samuel and his father to deal with the herd alone. He didn't know what Skye was playing at, but he did know something for sure; she was scared and from the looks of things, Skye had no control over the horse either.

"Jacob,"

His father called his sons name, silently ordering him back. The herd were completely out of control, yet forgetting all about them, Jacob raced out of the ranch after his mate.

"Jacob,"

******

The weather was getting worse, as the snow had started falling heavily again, blinding out my vision. Everywhere in which I looked there was thick falling snow; I couldn't even see the up close passing trees, until we were literarily inches away from them.

Blacky walked with ease, he had slowed his pace gradually, as the miles and space of time had slowly drifted past. With the hood of my coat pulled tightly around my face, the bitter winds still stung and bite at my skin. I had also pulled my coats sleeves over my hands, in the hope of warming and protecting them slightly against the bitter cold, but it had also made it a lot harder for me to hold on to Blacky's neck.

I didn't know where Blacky was taking me, though he did have a purpose within his constant moving purposeful step. All I wanted was to go home, I was cold, shivering and shaking where I was sat crunched forward up against Blacky's warm silky neck. I didn't even know if I could get down off of the horse, - even if and when Blacky decided to halt - that's how cold and frozen stiff I was.

We were moving up an incline, - that's all that I could tell you. Even though I could barely see anything around me, I knew that we were defiantly moving up a mountain. We had levelled out, passing or crossing rushing water. I couldn't be completely certain, it was only for the fact that I could only hear the rushing water, rather than see it.

Darkness had fallen, and through the thick white snow clouds, brief glimpses of the moon broke through shimmering and shinning down onto the snow covered earth. The hours slowly trickled past, as my eyes began to close from the bitter coldness and from my own tiredness when Blacky eventually halted, jerking me back to my senses.

The falling snow had slowed somewhat, making it a lot easier for me to see. Glancing around and pushing myself up straight, I slowly regained my bearings and balance. My bones and muscles protested, stiff and sore from sitting within the same position for such a long amount of time.

Blacky had come to a stop, not far off from a rocky mountain pass, cut deep into the side of a mountain. How far we had actually come, I couldn't tell you that. But how many valleys we had crossed, now even without my sight most of the way, - now that was a lot easy to tell you.

By feel and scent alone, I could feel the raise and decline in Blacky's path, the different and slight changes in scent as we crossed into each valley. Three in total we had crossed, the pass I was looking at, seemed to me to be leading into the fourth.

I couldn't tell you exactly where I was, as you all know, I'm not that good with the maps and names of this land. Everywhere and everything looked the same to me, especially with all the snow, it blanked out all of the lands natural features. To me, - I was completely and utterly lost.