Chapter 7; Myths And Legends

Copyright © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 7; Myths And Legends

"Skye,"

"Skye, - where the hell are you?"

My uncle's voice was becoming louder and more agitated, the more he called out my name. Slipping out of the disused barn, I made sure the door closed securely behind me, before I hurried back around and towards the front of the farmhouse.

"I'm here."

I shouted back, catching my uncle's attention. My uncle was halfway around the other side of one of the paddocks, when he turned around to see me walking back towards the farmhouse. Chandresh was stood out upon the wooden porch, watching with a curious glint within his eyes, as I approached.

I don't know what Chandresh's problem was with me, but it was starting to really get on my nerves. My uncle stormed over to me, an inpatient look upon his face, along with worry set deep within his eyes.

"Where have you been? I've been calling your name for at least five minutes."

It hadn't really been five minutes; my uncle was over exaggerating slightly. Raising my eyebrows at him, without a word, - my uncle was lucky if I had been any longer than two minutes, once he had started calling my name.

"I was sitting around by the stables reading."

Again, all I could do was lie. I was getting good at this lying business, though I don't think that was a good thing. My uncle seemed to accept the lie and guided me back towards and into the farmhouse.

"The weather is changing, the winds would be too harsh to do another search and we would be blind to those within the mountains."

Chandresh commented to my uncle, as he steered me back into the warmth of the house. I guess they were both going back out in search of the poachers; yet, Chandresh seemed dead-set against the idea for some unknown reason. I didn't blame him; my uncle's helping hand was right about the swiftly changing weather.

The wind had picked back up, blowing with a force, which could knock any human off of their feet. The air was chilled, damp, with the smell of snow coming. Listening to what Chandresh was saying and understanding my own senses. My guess would be that within two, maybe three days at the most the lower valleys would be knee deep within snow drifts too.

The smell of food drifted from the kitchen area, dropping my bag within my own bedroom, I retired to the living area to warm up. My thoughts were on Casey; I just hoped that the young wolf would be safe within the barn and that my uncle or Chandresh wouldn't come across her.

I desperately wanted to go in search of the pack; I knew something had to be wrong, something must have happened to them. But I also knew I had to wait for my strength to return. What use could I be to the pack if I got myself killed; none.

This would be my full second night away from the pack. Since my arrival just over four weeks ago, I was lucky to have spent one night every couple of days away from the pack, just to regain and to catch up upon my sleep.

Sat upon the couch, with my knees pulled up to my chest for comfort, I was sat staring into the hearths flicking flames. My thoughts were distant, focused upon my pack, Casey and the other million-and-one questions tumbling around my brain. I didn't even notice when Chandresh had entered the living area, taking his own seat within a comfortable armchair.

"The times are changing. Yet, the spirit of the land is still strong."

Chandresh puffed on his long Indian pipe, as the smoke swirling within the air around and above his head. Turning my head slightly, so my chin was still resting upon my knees, but so I could also see Chandresh; I wasn't sure if he had spoken to me or whether he was just muttering to himself as usually?