Kai Parker - "I know it doesn't seem like it, but I'm going to take care of you"

"Kai?" You crossed your arms over your chest when you noticed that your jacket with the keys of your car had disappeared. "Kai!" You raised your voice and you placed a hand on your chest when within less than a second he all of a sudden stood in front of you. "Really, you have to stop scaring the hell out of me, okay? Normal human behavior in this house." You rolled your eyes. "Speaking of which. Where is my jacket?"

"Your jacket?" Kai widened his eyes and he shook his head. "You can't find your jacket? And why are you asking me where it is? It's your jacket. Aren't you supposed to be the one who should know where it is?"

You rolled your eyes and took a deep breath. "I knew perfectly well where my jacket was, up until a few minutes ago when I all of a sudden noticed that it was gone." You cocked your head. "And since you're the only other person living in this house, I sort of assumed that you might have something to do with it."

"Me? Why would I steal your jacket? I know that you like pretty stuff and I know that I've helped you pick the jacket, but I don't think you and I have the same size." He curled his lips up into a smile, but you bit your lip and raised your eyebrows.

"Kai, I gave up on always understanding why you do something, but just because I don't understand it, it doesn't mean that you didn't do it." You paused for a long moment and your eyes stared straight into his. "Where is my jacket? And more importantly, where are my car keys? I have..." You stared at the glimmering watch around your wrist. "15 minutes before I have to be at the Mystic Grill to meet my friends and I'd love to be there in time so Caroline won't use the first half an hour on lecturing me on punctuality."

"You're not going to meet your so called friends." Kai's glance hardened and the smile on his lips disappeared completely. "I've googled what friends are supposed to do and I know perfectly well that those people are not your friends. How many times have you already been almost killed because Damon did or said something stupid? How many times were you forced to help them out even though you were only in danger and could end up dead? How many times did they ask you for a favor, knowing that it could cost you your life?"

You wanted to open your mouth to say something, to answer his question, to tell him that even though you ended up in some dangerous situations because of them, it didn't mean they were bad friends, but Kai placed his hands on your shoulders and started rubbing your arms.

"I know it doesn't seem like it, but I'm going to take care of you." He nodded and he pressed his forehead to yours. "I'm going to make sure that you won't end up dead, okay? I'm gonna protect you with my own life and my magic and probably my vampire powers too." He raised his eyebrows a little and you hesitated for a moment, before you pushed his hands away.

"You can't just lock me up to do so, Kai." You shook your head. "You can't keep me away from my friends, just because they want to protect those who don't even know they're in danger in the first place." You held out your hand. "I want my jacket and car keys back and I want to decide myself whether or not I'm willing to risk my life for them."

"But...but...what if you die?" Kai shook his head and you pressed a soft kiss on his lips.

"If I die, I die and I'm pretty sure that you will find a way to get revenge." You stepped back again. "Just like I know that if you can fall in love once, you can totally fall in love again."

"I don't want to fall in love again! I want you!"

"And I don't want a boyfriend who steals my jacket and car keys to keep me away from my friends."

"Fine, but I'm coming along."