Chapter 7

Heavy footsteps were heard from the staircase.  I craned my head towards that direction and saw a familiar figure climbing up the stairs.  That person doesn’t come home this early.  I wonder what happened.  My first instinct beat me first, and I shouted, “Michael! Why are you early today?”

“Well, I got the rest of the day off already. Tada, I was sent here to rescue you guys. Why is this place so messy anyway? Why are there shoe prints all over the place? When mom said something about helping out I thought it would be like carrying things to show my biceps off,” Michael said, showing off his biceps to us.

“Eww. Michael, spare us with those and help us clean up. Mom wants this place to be squeaky clean,” I rolled my eyes and handed him the broom.

Michael grabbed the broom that I handed him with and started sweeping the floor, “You should learn how to sweep from the pro.”

I watched him sweep, which made him mess everything up more.  He wasn’t doing it the traditional one direction way.  He did it in circular motions!  The dusts were flying all over the place.  I groaned and grabbed the broom from him, “Michael, please. Just take the mop. You’re making things worse.”

“What? What did I do wrong?” he protested.

“Everything,” I cleaned up the mess the made and dragged the luggage to my room.

“Hallie, stop! Let the pro do it,” Michael pushed me aside and grabbed the luggage.  I can see why mom sent him here.  His ADHD is acting up again, and it’s making everything worse than what we did.  I don’t even understand why his ADHD hasn’t worn out yet.  It should have been gone a few years ago.  I even feel older and more matured than him because of that.  I tried to make a mental checklist on what I need for the trip.  It seems like I’m almost ready for it.  After cleaning everything up, I heard mom shout for us.  It’s already lunchtime.  I looked at my watch and saw how time flew so fast.

“Lunch! I’m so excited!” Michael jumped and ran downstairs while dad and I followed.

“I can’t believe he’s still like that,” I grumbled.

“I know. The doctor said that ADHD wears out during teenage years. I don’t know what’s wrong with Michael,” dad said.

The aroma of teriyaki filled up my nose as we entered the room.  I kept on sniffing as I walked towards the table, “Wow, I’m loving the smell.”

I went to the countertop and the cupboard to get the plates and utensils ready.  Mom took out the cups while Michael place the placemats.  We all took our respective places, and dad led the prayer.  I took a mouthful of the baked teriyaki chicken and smiled.  This is so far the best I’ve ever tried.  Mom finally got it.

“Well? How was it?” mom raised her brows.

“This. Is. Perfect! You finally got it,” I gave her my best smile and a thumb up.

This time, she smiled for the first time this day.  At last, at least she did.  This day wouldn't be complete if she didn't.  She’s always a jolly person who never fails to smile.  I can’t believe that dad’s decision really affected her.  I helped my mom bring the plates to the sink then left the work to the maids.  They would come and clean them up after they finish eating their lunch.

The house was peaceful until we heard Michael shout from the other room.  It seems like he’s trying to find the remote.

“Dad! Where's the remote?” Michael shouted.  However, there was no reply, which is odd because dad taught us not to ignore people who are talking to you.

“Uhm… Dad?” Michael asked again.  There was still no reply, and silence followed.  Suddenly, we heard a loud snore break the silence.  I smirked then looked at mom who suddenly cracked up and I just followed.

-Hallie Price, 18 years old