Chapter 3

Business has been unstable lately.  I kept on getting complaints, delays and more complaints everyday.  Our utilities expense kept on rising.  Also, I don’t know why our food bills kept rising.  It seems like someone under this roof is a bottomless pit.  I sighed and ran my hand over my face to wipe the excess oil from my face.

I was busy listing our transactions for this month to record our expenses when Hallie suddenly called out from behind.  “Mom! Mom! Mom!” Hallie jumped up and down like a rabbit.  I looked up from my glasses and saw her bright face.  Her smile reaches from one ear to another.  I didn’t really expect this, but I can see that Dennis had agreed to let her go to the pointless trip.

“Well? How was it?” I asked, raising my brows.  I put down my pen and placed my hands flat on my desk.

“Well what? Dad definitely agreed to let me go!” she squealed happily, like how Hermione acts when she gets things right.  I knew it, and I can’t believe it.  How could Dennis agree to this nonsense?  Hallie isn’t capable enough to enter this yet.

“What? Really? That's uh... nice, so when are you going?” I interviewed her, trying to sound interested, but my disappointment and anger failed me.

“Next week!” she jumped up and down like a crazy kangaroo, who just escaped from the zoo.

“Oh. Okay, don’t you think that’s too soon? Anyways, get busy packing. Don’t forget to make a list first,” I said it in a sarcastic tone to hide my disappointment.

“Okay mom!” she shouted, running straight to her bedroom, or that’s where I think she went.

Is he in his right mind?  What in the world is he thinking?  How can he just decide to let her go without telling me about it?

Fuming, I removed my reading glasses and left my office table.  I stormed into the newly refurnished den, stomping my feet as I walk.  I want to make sure that Dennis receives a clear message of my disappointment with his decision.  Dennis raised his head from the paper and put his coffee down, trying to wait for me to calm me down.  I cleared my throat as I sit beside him.  He propped his elbows and linked his hands together.

“Darling, I did that for her to be happy, and you know that,” Dennis leaned forward.

“I know your intentions are clear. However, did you even think about the crimes that are raising by the second, or the possible disasters that may happen unexpectedly?” I raised my hand and hissed.

“Of course, Bea. I would never forget that. I would never get her into anything that could cause her harm. Bea, listen, she is already 18. I'm sure she can take care of herself already. I do believe that you worry too much. It's time for us to let her go already. I asked God about it last night then He gave me a dream. It is a dream that holds a message. He told me to allow her to enjoy her sweet life. Think of this trip as a reward for her hard work, and her birthday is already coming. Where can you get a daughter that can balance her studies with fun and getting top awards?” he smiled a little.

“Dennis, even though she’s 18, she's still a child. I can't believe that you can let her go just like that.” I pushed, which sounded like I was pleading, pleading for him to un-allow her again.

“Trust me, Bea. It was difficult, but it’s already time to let go. She isn’t a baby anymore. She’s a grown lady already.”

“But Dennis...” he stopped me by kissing me passionately, tracing his finger through my neck and down to my collarbone.  I softened and kissed him back.

“Shh. It’s okay.” Dennis touched my chin with his fingertip and whispered something like, “Trust me. I know what I'm doing.”  I really hope he does.  I don’t want anything bad to happen to Hallie, and I know that he doesn’t too, so I trust him.

-Bea S. Price, 50 years old