Chapter 14

"May I use the bathroom?" I asked.

"Of course. You still have to ask for permission even after all those years?"  Hallie said.

I laughed, trotted down to the bathroom and turned on the lights.  I found myself standing in front of the mirror.  I looked at myself and grimaced.  Hints of fats are already showing.  Curse those tempting chocolates.  The Price’s is really huge.  They even have a Jacuzzi.  I place my Coach body bag aside and got my makeup kit.  I threw some makeup on and fixed my clothes.  I applied a light lip-gloss and went out.

"Get ready guys! Go to the bathroom if you want to since we expect heavy traffic today. I don’t want us to hastily find a restroom in the middle of nowhere!"  Dennis clapped his hands.  After Dennis announced that, they took turns using the toilet while I waited inside the car with Pris.

"So, are you excited with this trip?"  She asked me.

"Super!"  I said enthusiastically.  I am really looking forward to this trip.  I hope nothing will ruin it.

"Just be careful. You don't know how people think now a days."

"Yeah, thank you for your concern."  I smiled.

Okay... We're going to Ireland first.  I fumbled for my phone to check the weather forecast.  It says that the weather there may be cold, and there's a possibility that it'll rain.  I made a checklist in my head.  I believe that I brought my jackets.  Okay, I think I’m all set.

Nikki groggily went in the van and took the seat at the back.  She even brought out a pillow and a blanket.  Pris and I’s eyes followed her as she moved.  “I'm sleepy...” She said and when her head hit the pillow, she immediately drifted off.  I watched her sleep peacefully.  Her face is a little tanned.  She didn't bother put makeup on, but she looked like she had.  Her skin is so natural, so beautiful.  Every girl wants to have that kind of skin.  I hope she appreciates that.

I left her there to sleep peacefully and took a seat in the middle.  I placed my small body bag beside me, and my backpack on the floor.  I didn’t really feel like sleeping so I put out the book that I intended to read on the plane.  I guess I'll just sleep in the plane later.  

The current book that I'm reading is the "Son of Neptune".  It was a good thing Percy didn't choose the blood of the left side of the gorgon.  That was really frightening and fatal.

After a couple of minutes, they finally scrambled in the car.  I checked if everybody is already here.  Cathy, Yvette, Tiffany (who is holding a peanut butter and jelly sandwich), Nikki (who is sleeping at the back) Hallie and her family, at last, complete.

"You guys all ready?"  Bea asked.

"Yes!"  Everyone shouted, except for Nikki who was sleeping soundly.  Dennis started the car then drove away.  I watched Hallie’s house get smaller as we went farther.  After the house, I watched the trees pass by.  It's already springtime, and the leaves are starting to grow everywhere.  I saw rabbits hopping around, and squirrels climbing trees.  There was even a skunk sniffing around the corner.  I watched until I dozed off.

I was woken up by Hallie’s nudge.  We reached the airport an hour later.  I got off the van to stretch and shake of the stiffness.  Dennis went to park at the parking lot.  Bea, Pris and Michael got some carts, and Yvette woke Nikki up.  Nikki yawned as she stretched.  I got my backpack and swung it over my shoulder.  We checked in and bid Hallie's family goodbye.  Hallie kissed her mom and dad and hugged Pris and Michael.  I envy them for having a great family.  I wish ours is like that too.  They waved at us as we went through the x-ray machine.

After all those processes that were accompanied by long lines, we were finally free.  We can shop or eat all we want now while waiting for boarding.  We were going to the cafe there when someone suddenly grabbed me from behind, and I shrieked as loud as I can.

-Maureen Martinez, 19 years old