Chapter 9

------5:00 P.M.------

*dingdongdingadonga*

This is the weirdest doorbell that I have ever heard.  I waited outside the house, under the falling snowflakes, waiting for Michael to open the door.  The weather nowadays is really weird.  Imagine, light snowfall during the early April.  I sighed and fixed my hat a little and crossed my arms.

Michael.  The only guy I have ever liked so far, he's really clumsy, but really worth liking for.  I know he had had a few girls back then, but I don't really care.  As long as he stays with me with all his heart, it's okay.  However, I still can't believe that he picked me.  A serious girl who focuses her life on herself and work?  Who would even want me?

What is taking him so long to open the door?  I pressed the doorbell again.

*dingdongdingadonga*

"Coming!"

I heard a person running towards the door, but something caught my eye.  A shadow swiftly passed by Michael's neighbor's house then disappeared.  What was that?  I tried to follow the shadow with my eyes, but it literally disappeared so maybe that was just probably my imagination.

"Oh! Hi Jess, Mike's upstairs."  Hallie said as she opened the door.  Michael called me to come over, but he didn’t open the door for me?  Oh, ego, or is it laziness?

"Hi Hallie, thanks."  I smiled as I walk toward the hazelnut colored spiral staircase.  The Price really has a nice house, imagine a five-story house with just five people living in it.

I knocked at Michael's door, "Wait a second!" he called out.  His head popped out from the bedroom, "Sugar!"  He opened the door wide enough for me to fit in.  He closed the door and turned to me.  I handed him a cup of Starbucks's white chocolate mocha with thick whipped cream.  That’s his favorite.  He took the tall cup excitedly like a kid who just saw an amusement park.  "Thanks, you're the best. Here, drink some."  I took a sip out of the same straw and said, "So, what's up?"

"Nothing really special, just Hallie. She's going to travel with her friends."

"Wow! That lucky kid!"

"I know."  He rolled his eyes, as if annoyed.  I guess he was, and I would understand why.  Imagine your sister traveling, and you're stuck in this country, working.  He sat on his sofa and patted the seat beside me, telling me to sit beside him.  I walked toward him and put my purple shoulder bag down.  I fixed my pencil skirt as I sat.

He examined from head to toe, raised his hand to his chin, indicating that he's going to comment my outfit.  "Sexy."  He accidentally let the word escape.  I glared at him.  He knows how much I hate it when he uses that word.  "Oops, I mean, pretty Jessica."  He stifled a laugh.

Michael's room is really huge.  There’s a desktop on the corner, TV beside it and a sofa in front of the TV.  His bed was placed on the opposite corner.

Michael slowly moved his hand near mine, trying to get hold my hand.  I didn't try to pull away, knowing that he needs a little of those.  I'm the type of girl who is really conservative with these things.  Even though I wear short shorts and tank tops, I never let a guy touch me, ever.  Michael held my hand, and I felt a shiver down my spine.  I never felt this before.  I saw his lip smile a little, like he was smirking.

I have this weird feeling today, a feeling that I have never experienced before.  It was like I have an urge to do something bold and different.

-Jessica White, 23 years old