5 | The Letter

I woke up to find Anika sprinkling water on my face. It was morning.
" I'm fine.. ", I said still not very sure of what was going on.
I sat up and it was just then that I noticed Nandini.. Looking at me.. With those same eyes.. Same feelings.

" Who asked you to drink so much?!", Anika said sharply as though I was a kid.
I just kept quite. It was a rhetorical question, after all.
" Come on.. We have to leave.", Anika said.
I slowly got up. My eyes fixed on Nandini.. Her eyes fixed onto mine..
Then I turned.. I just turned away I couldn't talk it anymore.. It was paining!

Anika was walking in front of me. I slowly walked behind her.
Just then I felt a hand hold my from behind. I paused and do did Anika. I turned.. It was Nandini!

"Just take this. ", she said handing me an envelope.
I didn't reply.. Trying to read her eyes.. The depth.. Her thoughts. I held the letter in my hand and followed Anika.

It was afternoon when we reached home. I remembered the letter and opened it.
It said,

Dear Abhay,
I know your feelings towards me are never going to be softened but when you danced with me yesterday I felt as though there was a tempest in my heart... Some old buried memories took over me. If you see, it plain that it wasn't clearly my fault as maybe somehow it was your prejudices which brought us to this road, but I still ask for forgiveness. If truth be told, I still love you but never mind.

I know you love Anika.
But what I cannot accept is your dislike towards me, I don't seek any comfort from you, all I seek is sons forgiveness which doesn't even cost an ounce.

Yours lovingingly,
Nandini

I was in shock.. What?! She still loved me.. But I.. I love Anika.. I mean then.. Wait.. Did I love her too?
I hated her right?! I mean that's what I thought..
Wait.. I hated her.. She had a place in my heart.. The place of hatred.. But was that hatred turning to love?! Why did I even bother to dance with her last night?!

Did I listen to my heart..? Yes.. I did.. But why did my heart ask me to dance with her.
Was it the buried to love in heart..? What was it..?

I never replied to her letter.. I didn't know what was I gonna reply.

It was Valentine's Day when I and Anika had left home for outing and stuff.
We had enjoyed the whole day.
It was around eleven in the night when my phone buzzed.
It was police commissioner. I had to leave for an investigation.

I told this to Anika and she asked me to go.. And when I was on duty I got this call from some unknown man saying that my Anika was shot!
I suspected Nandini.. Because no one else had any issues with Anika.. It had to be her.
She loved me.. So she had to hate Anika.. I knew it.. I did!