Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Katie

“Uh-huh… Okay… But Dad, I straight up lied to you and Mom… No… But I lied to you!... Yes. Yes I am…” Katie tapped her finger nails against her cellphone and glanced at Jason, “Yes,” she smiled at him, “Yes I do… Okay… I love you too… Talk to you soon.”

Katie hung up the phone and sat next to Jason on the couch. She put her head on his shoulder and he put his arm around her shoulders. It was early evening and someone was making dinner in the kitchen and it smelled delicious.

“You’re really weird, you know that?”

“Hey! You just met me so technically you can’t judge me because you don’t know me enough.” Katie laughed, “Just kidding!” She gave Jason a look and laughed again. “Why do you say I’m weird?”

“I don’t know any teenage girl anywhere that would try to convince her parents that she lied to them. I mean who does that?”

“She does!” Alison said from the other couch. “We make fun of her because she never defies her parents. Never say no, never shouts.Angel daughter, right there.Ding, ding, ding, ding!” Alison pointed at Katie like she was a prize.

“Really?” Jason raised his eyebrows at Katie.

“Really.” Katie whispered. She buried her face in Jason’s arm.

“No, no, no. I think it’s cute.” He laughed as he tried brushing hair out of her face which was still tucked into his arm.

She gave him a frown-y face then started to move off the couch to sit with Bethany on the other couch. Jason grabbed her waist and pulled her back into him and started tickling her.

“No! Jason, stop!” She screamed and laughed hysterically.

“Why? What’s wrong, Katie? What’s so funny?” He laughed.

“You,” She struggled, “Are so,” she struggled some more so that she was facing him. She put her arms around his neck and pulled him down to her. They rolled off the couch and onto the floor in a hug while she shouted slash laughed, “Mean.”

They both laughed as Katie reached up and brushed a hand along Jason’s cheek. She looked at his distinct features. His brown hair, his brown eyes, his high cheek bones, and strong jaw line. His skin was blemish free and absolutely beautiful. Katie closed her eyes and took in the moment. She was on Jason Hunt’s floor, Jason Hunt practically on top of her, touching Jason Hunt’s face, the beautiful, beautiful, beautiful face she had only seen in pictures and videos.

“I would kiss you right now but,” Jason whispered, “You’re best friends are staring at us with clown smiles on their faces.”

Katie smiled, looked up at her friends and, sure enough, they were smiling like fools.

“Hey y’all!” Katie said.

“Heyyyyyyyy!” Both Alison and Bethany shrieked dragging out the –ey.

Jason and Katie both laughed. Katie untangled herself from Jason and sat up. He sat up too and they immediately grabbed each other’s hand. “How long?” Katie sighed. She knew she had to ask. She knew it would happen if Jason and Katie did find each other but it just didn’t seem real. It was 5:30. She couldn’t believe that only five hours ago she and Jason had met for the first time.

“At the earliest, right now, at the latest, maybe tomorrow afternoon.”

“Really?” Katie looked at Jason in awe.

“Yeah. Word travels fast around here.”

“I know but it’s just- it was just five hours ago!”

“I know. We’ll be fine though.” Jason put his arm around her and pulled her into him.

“See Alison, they already have some secret language thing going on.” Bethany shook her head.

“Do you know what they’re talking about?” Alison asked looking at Jason and Katie but speaking to Bethany.

Bethany snapped her head at Alison, “Yeah, I do, Alison. I just called it their secret language for a make believe reason.”

“Geez! Sorry!” Alison looked at Jason and Katie, “What are y’all talking about?”

Jason and Katie laughed, “The press.” Jason explained.

“Eh?” Bethany still didn’t understand.

“You saw how many people from the press were at the airport today and at the restaurant.” Katie explained.

“Oh!” Alison had her light bulb moment. “Y’all are talking about when you two will be all over the news.”

“Yeah.”

“Okay. Gotcha!”

“I still don’t get it.” Bethany said in her dumb blond voice.

Katie looked at her and explained very slowly and in her “Bethany” voice, “People with cameras took pictures of Jason and I. I was wondering how long until the people with the cameras sell the pictures to news reporters who will put it on the news. Does that make sense?”

“Oh! Yeah! Okay, I got it.” Bethany sat back on the couch.

Katie and Jason smiled at each other but Katie couldn’t help feeling like everything would take a huge turn when everyone found out about them.