Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Jason

Colin was up for a drink of water when he heard Jason's iPhone ringing. It rang and rang and rang. Colin wondered why Jason wasn't answering.

He walked into Jason's- Katie's room to be taken aback by all the pictures of his brother. Remembering the reason he came into the room, he went to Jason's phone on the nightstand. Jason was fast asleep.

Colin saw "Dad" on the screen and pressed answer.

"Hey."

"Colin?"

"Yeah. Jason's asleep."

"Oh. Okay. I guess you'll work too."

"Wow, Dad. I feel real loved."

"Well I-I- I really need to talk to Jason."

"Do you want me to wake him up?"

"No! No! I just-"

"What Dad?"

His dad thought for a minute before saying, "There is a Katie Jennings here who wants to talk to him."

...........

Confusion is what Jason first felt, then sadness, then anger.

"Jason, I have something to tell you."

"What? Why? What's going on here?" Jason looked at their luggage by the front door.

"Mom's sick."

"What do you mean Mom's sick?"

"She's sick and we need to go home."

"We just got here!" Jason protested.

"Mom is sick!"

"Tell Dad to give her some cold medicine or something. We just can't leave!"

"Well we have to. She is really sick."

"Colin, why are you doing this to me?"

"Doing what?"

"Putting me in No Man's Land."

"What do you mean?"

"Putting me between Katie and Mom."

"I'm not putting you between Katie and Mom. I'm putting you between some girl you haven't even met and our Mom!Our birth giver, our entrance to life, our... our... our Mom!" Colin gave him a hard look and shook his head. He mumbled under his breath, "Sometimes I feel like the big brother."

Colin grabbed his suitcase and stormed out of the room.

Mr. Jennings came into the living room and put his hand on Jason's shoulder.

"We enjoyed having you here but family comes first and your mom needs you home."

Jason turned around and looked into the eyes of Katie's dad. He thought about all the things he had wanted to do with Katie while he was here. He couldn't stand to wait another week until she would be home.

"Will you tell her I was here and that I said hello?"

"I will." Mr. Jennings smiled.

They shook hands then Jason grabbed his bag and walked to the car, leaving everything he knew of Katie Jennings behind him.