Chapter 30 & 31

Chapter 30

Jason

He needed to take a drive.

He had said so many things in that conversation that he regretted and shouldn’t have said. 

He hopped in his Toyota Camry, turned on the ignition, and threw the car in reverse in what seemed to be all one motion.

He hit the gas and drove. He didn’t know where he was going, just that he needed to go.

When he got back home he would apologize to Katie and tell her that he loved her and didn’t know why he believed the reporter. Katie was right. It’s their job to make people believe and he had fallen for it. But why on Earth would he call her a child? He knows she’s already hating herself for not being older and him telling her that she was so young didn’t help.

He mentally smacked himself and thought, why, dude? Why? You love her and you’re going to let some stupid reporter get between you and her. You are so stupid!

He drove until he knew he had to go back.

Chapter 31

Katie

“Please don’t go. We all love you and we want you to stay. Just because my stupid brother messed up doesn’t mean you have to leave us.” Colin begged with Katie.

“I’m sorry, Colin, I just… I need to go home.”

Colin nodded and stepped forward and gave Katie a big hug. He kissed her on the forehead and said, “Don’t be a stranger.” Then handed her a sticky note with a phone number on it. She smiled and gave him one more hug.

Next was Mallory. Mallory wrapped her in her arms and gave her a tight squeeze. “I’m sorry for my son’s behavior.” There was a small pause before she said, “It was great meeting you Katie, you too, Alison and Bethany.”

They all said thank you and then Katie turned to face Chris. 

Chris had pretty much made this all happen. He was kind of responsible for the best two days of Katie’s life. He had been the one who told Mallory to open the door. Katie was thankful to him for so much.

Katie took two quick steps before she felt Chris’ arms wrap around her.

“Thank you for everything.” She mumbled into his chest, trying to hold back tears.

“Thank you, Katie,” Chris held her at arm’s length, “For coming into our lives.” He gave her a smile and picked up her suitcase.

They drove to the airport in silence. Mallory and Chris had been nice enough to buy Katie, Bethany, and Alison plane tickets back home.

At the airport they checked their luggage, said goodbye to Chris, went through security, and waited at the gate. Because it was such a last minute flight the plane was to leave in an hour. The girls sat down for fifteen minutes before first class was called to board the plane.

The girls sat down in their chairs and looked at each other.

“I’m sorry for the short ending.” Katie said to her best friends.

“I’m sorry you got your heart broken.” Bethany said back.

“Me too.” A tear slid down Katie’s cheek and she rested her head on Alison’s shoulder as the people getting on the plane filed past.