Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Katie

It was the beeping. The beeping was what brought Katie back.

The sound was so annoying.

She opened her eyes and looked around. She was in a room with white walls, white curtains, and a wooden door.

She looked down at herself and noticed she was in a hospital gown under white sheets with an I.V. in her arm.

She looked back up and saw her parents. 

“Mom?Dad?” Katie managed to croak out.

Her parents looked up and came up to her. “Katie!”

Her mom came up to her and kissed her on the cheek. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m tired and sort of sore. How are y’all?”

“We’re tired too.” Her dad answered.

“I’m sorry. Why am I he-“

Just then Jason walked into the hospital room with his head down.

He was here, in the same room, beside her.

Her eyes immediately went to his ring finger. Where was his ring? Where was Sara? The kids?

“Jason?” Katie was surprised. Why was he here? 

He blinked his eyes and lifted his head.

“Katie!” He rushed over to her bedside and kissed her. 

She used all the energy she had to push him away. “What are you doing?” Katie was shocked. Why would Jason kiss her when he was married to Sara?

“What are you doing?” Jason was hurt. Katie could tell.

“Where’s Sara?” Jason looked so young.

“Who’s Sara?” Jason was confused. Katie couldn’t get over how young he looked.

Katie looked at her parents as though they might know. They were just as confused as Jason was. “Sara and Chase and Logan and Madison!” Katie was angry. How dare he pretend that he didn’t know who Sara was?

“Katie, is your head feeling all right?” Her dad asked.

“I-I have a headache.” Katie muttered as she kept looking at Jason.

“We’ll go get the doctor.” Her mom and dad left and shut the door behind them.

Jason looked at her with hurt in his eyes. He look down at the floor, shaking his head and then back up at Katie.

“Katie, I have no idea who you’re talking about.” 

“Don’t pretend like you don’t know. You burned our pictures and my ring and the promise ring box.” Katie felt her face getting hot. She was getting tired too and only had so much energy left before she fell asleep.

“The promise ring box is at home, all your pictures are safe, and your rings are in a little baggy right here.” Jason gestured to a Ziploc baggy across the room.

Katie stared at Jason trying to think how she could get through to him, “You’re married! You have kids! You burned all your memories of me!”

“Katie, what are you talking about?”

“Jason! I died. You moved on. You got married and had kids. I can’t believe you’d lie to me like this.”

“Katie, what are you talking about? You’ve only been in a coma for three days!”

“A coma?”A coma?She looked Jason for what felt like forever. A coma?

“Yeah. You fell out of the boat, hit your head, and went into a coma.” Jason explained. “I pulled you out of the water as fast as I could but by then you were already out. I called 911 and rowed back to the dock as fast as I could. You’ve only been out for three days.”

“You mean you’re not married and you don’t have kids?” Katie was confused. It had all seemed so real.

“No, of course not.”

Jason walked closer to Katie’s bed and whispered, “I would never marry any girl but you.” He leaned in and kissed Katie.

When Katie broke the kiss, Jason whispered, “I thought I had lost you forever.”

Katie whispered back, “You have no idea.”

And then the pain medicine kicked in.