Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Jason

“So,” David started when Katie left the room, “Could you please explain to me what happened between when my daughter arrived at your house to when she just left the room.”

Jason thought for a minute, “She came to my house and my parents called me and I flew back to California. We spent about two days together before I said something really stupid and she flew back home.”

David looked at Jason for a long time. When he finally spoke he said, “You really hurt her.”

Jason looked down at his feet, “I know and I am so sorry. I never want to hurt her again.”

“You better not.”

Jason looked up, “You’re not going to tell me to get out of your house or I’m never allowed to see your daughter again?”

Mr. Jennings shook his head, “No because if I did that I would not only be hurting you and Katie, I’d be hurting myself. I could never see her hurt.”

“I’m really sorry about the past two weeks.”

“Yeah.Me too. Jason, can I ask you something?”

“Yes, sir.”

                        David thought for a minute, “How long have you know Katie?”

“I have spent about two days with her.”

“But you’ve known her for about two weeks, correct?”

“Yes, sir.” Jason didn’t know where this conversation was going.

“And you’ve told her you love her?”

“Yes.”

“How? You talk to her for two days and you love her?”

Jason thought for a moment about how to answer Mr. Jennings’ question. “Sir, Katie is extraordinary. You know that. When I met her I had this feeling and the way she makes me feel,” He smiled at himself thinking about the butterflies he always gets when he looks at Katie, “That feeling, I know its love. I may not have known your daughter for very long but I do know enough to know that I love her. I may not know what she likes on her pizza or how she eats her Oreos but I do know the way her heart works and I love that. Sir, I’m in love with your daughter and I hope you know that and I hope you let me love her.”

Mr. Jennings thought and then smiled. “That’s exactly what I wanted to hear.”

Mr. Jennings and Jason shook hands then exited Katie’s room.

Before they got any further David stopped Jason and looked at him. “Cheese, pepperoni, and sausage.”

“What?” Jason was confused.

“Cheese, pepperoni, and sausage. It’s what she likes on her pizza.”

Jason smiled as they walked out into the living room where Katie was pacing.

When she saw Jason she yelled, “You’re alive.”

“You thought he wouldn’t be?” Her dad asked.

“I-um- It’s just that- I don’t know!”

They all smiled.

“Is tacos for dinner okay?” David asked as he walked around the counter and into the kitchen.

“That sounds great.” Katie replied as Jason pulled her into him. “Do you need any help?” Katie said half -heartedly as Jason kissed her hair.

“Go for a walk,” Mr. Jennings said as he looked at Katie and Jason.

“What?” Katie looked at her dad, confused.

“Go for a walk,” he paused, “together!”

“Oh!” Katie exclaimed. She laughed as she and Jason joined hands.

She led him out the garage door and out to the driveway. They walked hand and hand down the driveway and when they got to the end, they turned to the right, going deeper into the neighborhood.

“Robin lives in this house and she is super nice.” Katie explained,“And Mrs. Krat-“

“Katie! Katie, wait up!” Jason and Katie turned around to see a teenage boy jogging toward them.