Run Away With Me

Chapter 10 - Run Away With Me

The room was lovely, exactly what I expected, given the elegance of the lobby and atrium. It had a large king sized bed with fine linens, a sitting area and large picturesque window.

"Claire," Shane began.

I looked up at him in surprise. His voice was off, higher than usual, like he was nervous about something. "What is it?" I whispered, worried at his unusual tone.

"This is our chance!" He knelt down in front of me and grasped both of my hands.

Oh, no!!! My mind was screaming. He cannot possibly propose to me right here and now! I blinked and waited for him to explain.

Excitedly he rushed, "I know it isn't what we planned, but if we do it right, I think we can make it. Really, it's the best shot we've ever had of getting away from Morganville forever."

"What are you suggesting?" I asked in confusion.

"Run away with me! We can sneak out in the morning. They probably won't notice we are gone for a few hours and even if they do, they can't track us during the day. We can get enough distance away that they won't be able to find us. And, then we can actually start living our lives...for real." Shane waited for my response expectantly.

I was stunned. There were so many things wrong with his plan. "I can't..." I stuttered. "I can't leave Myrnin to fight this alone."

"But he won't be alone. He will have Gwion, so he won't need you anymore," Shane replied as though I should be able to see the brilliance of his plan.

But all I heard was that Myrnin wouldn't 'need' me anymore and felt the pain of those words wash over me. We argued back and forth with me explaining how it wouldn't be fair to Eve, or right to Myrnin or my parents, who would never see me again. And that was the best-case-scenario versus them being killed out of revenge. And then there was the little matter of Oliver. I wasn't fond of him, but I could still see the anguish in his face when I closed my eyes. It didn't feel right to turn my back on it.

Shane wasn't listening to any of it, so stuck on his romantic notion that we could walk away from here without any strings or repercussions and somehow magically start an entire new life in a different country!

Finally, I gave up. "Okay. Stop. I will think about it," I hedged, tired of fighting.

He glowed and kissed me. I shook my head, knowing he still thought he could convince me. Suddenly, I desperately needed air before I suffocated. I pulled back and said, "I am going to take a walk. I need to think this through."

His eyes turned to concern. He replied, "It's not safe alone. I'll come with you."

"No!" I told him a bit too firmly. "It is a luxury hotel. It's safe. If you want me to agree with you, you need to give me some space to think."