Chapter 3: My happiness had arrived

*Friday December 17, 2010*

Today I woke up. I woke up better than I was yesterday. 24 hours ago I wasn’t sure if I was going to be waking up to today, but I did. So back to finishing up yesterday, I know that I normally wouldn’t care if I finished a day or not, but I have to finish every last detail of yesterday.

“Hey! WAIT!” It was Louis calling after me, me of all people.

“Me?” I asked as I turned around to face him

“Yeah! Are you busy?” asking me as he finished coming over

“Um, like right now?” I said looking around nervously at the floor. I was planning to go home and get the pain and sleeping pills that I have had hidden in my bedroom for years.  I’ve always known how I would kill myself if I ever had the guts to finally do it. I would cut, deep, the deepest that I ever have and all over my body, take the pills, and fall asleep in the tub, fall asleep into a peaceful sleep that I would never have to wake up from.

“Yeah, are you?” Louis asked me snapping me out of my thoughts.

“I guess not, why?” I asked puzzled at why he would care if I was busy or not. He’s popular, good looking, athletic, could be talking to any girl he wants and he chose to talk to me.

“Well I wanted to know if you would want to do something? Practice just ended and I was walking to get something out of my locker and saw that you were still here. Why are you still here by the way?”

“Oh I was just um-studying in the library” I said hoping that he would believe me. He looked a bit suspicious but then smiled again. “So do you want to?” asking me again. Why did he want to hang out with me of all people, I’m nobody and he doesn’t even know me?

“Uh, yeah I guess so, I mean why? Why me? You don’t even know me.” I asked him.

“Why not you? I know we don’t know each other but I want to know you!” He said with a big smile on his face. I couldn’t understand why he was standing there, why did he want to get to know me, I’m not even pretty?

“Well okay then!” I said with a fake smile and slight giggle. “Great! Just let me go change out of my uniform and I’ll be back in like 10 minutes okay?!” I nodded with a smile as he ran off smiling back at me.

I went and sat down on one of the benches in the front yard. In my mind I was going back and forth between; I just want to leave now to go and die, and then the fact that someone was actually being nice to me. Louis had just given me the slightest glimmer of hope. Here I am ready to just leave forever and he wants to know me and spend time with me. None if it made any sense to me, and though I’ve never been one to believe in fait and signs, I guess I kindof took him as a sign. A sign that I wasn’t supposed to die yesterday, maybe I would the next but not yet.

“Ready!?” Louis asked walking towards me

“Yeah! So what are we going to do?” I asked him

“You want to go to the beach and walk around a bit!?” He suggested. There was something in his eyes. Something beautiful. Something deep. Something I haven’t seen in anyone towards me in a long time. I saw, care.

“Sounds fun I haven’t been to in a while!” And with that he grabbed my hand.

“Great! Come on!” He said excitingly leading me to the parking lot. “Where are we going, the beach is that way?” I asked pointing the other direction; it was about 2 miles down from the school.

“Allie, I have a car you know, we don’t have to walk.” He said with a smile. He was still holding my hand, and that was nice. “Oh, right.” I said trying to shrug of how awkward I had just been.  He led me to his car, opening the door for me and then walking over to the driver’s side. It was only about 5 minutes of a drive, Louis put on the radio and we started talking a bit. Louis was so nice to me, I don’t know why he was, but I wasn’t about to question it. As he sat there telling me about a football match that he has on Saturday, I was just looking at him, his smile, the glimmer in his eyes, how happy of a person he seemed to be. “Allie? Are you okay? We’re here.” He said snapping me out of my thoughts. “Oh yeah, sorry I was just thinking I guess!” I said with a little giggle smiling at him, and it wasn’t a fake one, it was real, he had actually made me smile. I don’t know the last time that I had a smile on my face that wasn’t forced or fake and came just, naturally to me. He walked around opening my door for me, taking my hand again into his as we walked down towards the water.