~24~ Refueled

The conscious man is dead
And I buried him
Beneath this scarred tissue
Armored skeleton
The machine is now alive
Desensitized with open eyes
Powered by an angry mind
And is refueled by those I despise

I've become what they detest
A delinquent survivalist
Without fear and no regrets

~Fear Factory "Refueled"

The honey-comb yellow sun, blazed like a radiant bolide in the boundless azure sky. Birds were chirping and trees were swaying in glee. Ana Perla smiled brightly like the sunrays as its peaked into her room. She stood up, rushed to the lacey curtains and opened them wide, her eyes crinkling with joy and great expectation on what was yet to happen.    

  The birds greeted her with a tune, and she joined them in humming as the dahlias and crocuses in her balcony, fluttered in glee. That was how she'd always pictured her mornings since she was a child, but sadly, nothing ever goes the way we plan, so she was very acquainted to always waking up with mind-numbing headaches—today was no different. 

  She moaned as the sun tapped its fervid rays through her canted windows, lighting her hair up like a dazzling nimbus. Her eyelids were heavy and drooping with sleep but she spontaneously forced herself up. She lifted her head from the fluffy pillow and sat up. After two days, one would have thought she was over been arrested. 

But no, it still haunted her. She couldn't shake the icky chills and disgust she'd felt when she was locked up. She knew she'd spent a little less than two hours there but every minute and second she spent there scarred her for life. It was something she was never ever going to forget.

That wasn't the only thing bothering her this morning, she was sick. Sick with fear. Sick and charry. This time curiosity hadn't killed the cat. No, it made the cat weary. Ana Perla didn't tell Alicia why she was arrested, and still kept her lips sealed even when she'd tried to outsmart her by asking what she was arrested for.

She couldn't bring herself to tell Ali what she'd discovered, even if she tried to. Ana Perla hated seeing her broken and torn and she knew that telling her what she knew would cause more harm than good. She knew it wasn't fair but she wanted to keep quiet about it. 

  She was well aware Ali was going to feel betrayed when she found out that she'd kept this piece from her. But it was much better than seeing her break down again. The other part of Ana Perla which seeked justice, wanted to tell Ali, because that was the only way she was going to start remembering what happened the night she died. It was all too hard for her to cope with.    

  Ever since Ana Perla's arrest, she'd tried avoiding Ali as much as she could. She only stayed in her room claiming she had a contagious disease she didn't want to transfer to the rest of her staff. Of course they knew she was lying, but who were they to challenge the queen of their fiefdom.   

  She rolled her tongue in her mouth, feeling parched. She needed a pronto aspirin to calm the twinge in her head. These were one of the times she wished they were in the primeval times, she would have just rang a bell for one her servants to appear. But since this was the 21st century, she got off her butt, dragged her feet to bathroom, opened her cabinet and took a tab of aspirin from the little container it was kept in.    

  Her messy bed hair tumbled over her shoulders, mocking her appearance as she gazed into the parabolic antique mirror. There were deep creases on her golden tanned face, possibly because she hadn't slept well. Gritting her teeth, she studied how deep the lines on her face were. Good God! She looked like a perfectly drawn out map. 

  Placing the aspirin back at its rightful place she walked out of the bathroom and got ready to go back to sleep. That showed how much she'd changed since her arrest. Not like she didn't like sleeping before. She loved it, but she didn't want to go out now, when there was a high possibility that she was going to bump into Ali.