Thirteen: Carnival Treats

A/N: Very late update, sorry. Hope it's worth it! Updates are now weekly with no specific date, sorry :*

MILESTONE: #14 in Chicklit!? 23k reads?! I'm not going insane, am I? THANK YOU!

Happy Mother's Day to all the kickass mothers and fathers out there!

And, happy reading and enjoy this long chapter!

  - • ∿ • -  

Liesla Montez

 The sound of my pencil gliding through my paper is a soft tune to my ears.

 A low and gentle sound that's easily underrated by many but, to me, it is much more. It's calming and soothing, a relaxing tune that adds to my drawing experience.

 There are times I like creating art by listening to music, or watching a movie. Hell, sometimes I draw even when I read or talk to someone. Anytime, anywhere, I draw when I feel inspired or the need to do it.

 Then, there are other times where listening to my surroundings and the natural sounds of nature and my movements just, lets me get lost in making my art. I don't know what about it keeps me in a trance but, it does.

 My head cocks to the side as I take a step back to look at my artwork, it's not complete but sometimes taking a breather to look at your progress is always helpful. What's on my paper right now is different than what I'm used to. There's a different emotion shining through my drawing, it's subtle but clearly there. The battle between light and darkness seems to be dying down; light gaining more strength and clarity in the war.

 I run my thumb and my index finger together to create heat then run my thumb along a pencil marking, smudging it out to create a natural faded appearance.

 "I knew I would find you hear." Kevin's voice startles me, causing me to jumping in place, my right hand holding my chest tightly.

 "Shit." I curse, catching my breath. "Kevin, why?"

 He chuckles at my reaction, stuffing his hands in his pockets as he ambles over to me. "Usually when I tell my assistants or students that they can leave early or stay around until I close, they leave. Yet, you didn't. No, instead I find you in the art room drawing. Tell me Liesla, why aren't you home?"

 I shrug, looking down at my paper as the tips of my fingers brush over it. "I truly don't know. I just felt the urge to draw something, anything honestly."

 "Has something occurred recently?" Kevin curiously asks as he examines my paper.

 Something? It almost sounds as if it were a small thing, and the mere thought of that is funny to me because if anything, it's a big thing.

 A big change.

 Change can be scary, tough, necessary, and even exciting.

 Allowing people into my daughter's life is a good change, a needed change.

 This had been something I was still fumbling and messing with but, Valentin altered that, and in the most unconventional way it could have ever happened.

 It's so odd to see a certain moment unfold a different way than you had imagined. But life always has a different plan, an unexpected plan that in the end blends to something a little more clear and satisfactory.