Fourteen: Trails of Fire

A/N: Sorry for my lateness, but here's chapter fourteen. I think this might be my favorite.

Inked Desire is up to 38k reads and has reached rank #11 in chicklit this past week or so, I cannot be anymore grateful to those taking the time to read and comment on my story, thank you for that and for voting.

That being said, Hello to all you new readers! I hope you're enjoying my story and stick along. I love talking and seeing what you're thinking, so feel free to leave a comment!

As always, enjoy and happy reading.

- • ∿ • -

Valentin Ramirez

Six years ago...

 "How can you do this?" I raise my voice, loud enough for him to hear the hurt and trembling anger behind my words. My punching bag is swinging back and forth from my last throw. It almost seems as though it's moving in a slow motion, mirroring the time it's taking my brother to answer my question. Irritated by the silence, I throw a frustrated kick then let out a loud huff. "Answer me! How do you expect me to just be ok with this and not question your motives, it's ridiculous!"

 My brother deeply sighs, running a hand through his hair. "Val, you know this is for the best."

 "Is it? Is it really?" I stress the last word, holding onto my punching bag as I look straight into our identical eyes. "You're not just leaving me, you're leaving mamá as well. She needs us right now more than ever."

 How can he leave us on the one year anniversary of our father's death? Is he not thinking about mamá right now?

 A mixture of emotions starts to stir inside me, a huge battle between wanting to do the right thing and not doing it. I want to understand him, I want to be supportive. However, I also don't want to. I want him to stay, I want him to help me support our mom during this time.

 I don't just 'want' him to do this, I need him–my brother, the only one who understands me.

 "I can't, I just can't stay. I have to go." His eyes shift around the room but never landing on mine, trying to hide the emotions he's experiencing.

 "You're tearing this family apart!"

 "No," Nicholas breathes out, shaking his head in disbelief, "I'm saving the family from it completely collapsing into pieces."

 And just like that, the winner of battle is announced, ready to shine through it's victory. I see quick flashes of red as my body temperature increases, feeling most of it in my face and chest. My heart is pounding, non-stopping, feeling as though it could tear through my extremely warm chest with ease. My whole body is rigid, tense, stuck in one place as this emotion takes over. My fists are clenching and unclenching. I try to take deep breaths, closing my eyes to help the process but, nothing.

 The emotion rapidly takes over, not just the way my body reacts but also, my mind. I turn irrational and stubborn, more than I was. The line between doing what's right and wrong now becoming a blur.

 "It already is, thanks to you." I sneer harshly, my hand shaking on my side. He flinches, hurt and anger flashing through his eyes. For a second I believed Nick would react to me but, he doesn't retaliate. No, instead, he composes himself, standing straight and looking at me unfazed.